Server currently down!

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Ssseth

Re: Server currently down!

Post by Ssseth »

Who attacked us anyway? So childish. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Could there be a better time to move to ASSS?

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Moving to ASSS would be great but, yes there's the but. I can explain it shortly: nothing has been tested, nobody has assured or shown me that everything would work with ASSS. Changing to ASSS with promises that everything "should work fine" is not an option when it means we could be crippled for weeks or months before some coder helps us to configure or re-create the bots which do not work as intended.

While ASSS gives great opportunities development wise, I need assurance that everything works and I'd like to run full test to see that everything works before switching the server to ASSS. Also while at it, the coder or coders assisting in the change to ASSS we need to do some major bug fixes and updates to our bots, they are currently outdated and getting worse every year. Speaking of major updates here and those are very time consuming for the coders.

Same old story but I think it would kill us completely if we switch without having our systems completely ready, we're already running on fumes so to speak and league is our best shot for having activity atm. League bots are the uncertain part of the transition, will they work and if they do not, somebody needs to rebuild them from a scratch or so I've heard.

PS. We're working towards getting the old server back online, if we're lucky we could be back just in time to have fun with the easter bunny!

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Couldn't we test on the other platform as a backup?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

There has been some preliminary tests on the new platform - however nobody has tested the league bots if they really work without any issues. In other words we could fire up ASSS at any second but that server would be a. not connected to billing and b. only some sort of public game would be available. Basically we need more coders to help us out with this project. :roll:

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Basically it's never going to happen ;)

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Well you might be right on that Temb, chances for it happening without active development staff and especially coders are minimal.

However if we get back on topic: all other servers are currently up but we're not. The reason for this is simple: our server provider seems to have some sort of additional issues (possibly related to recovering from the attack) so it's taking longer for us to get back online.

I will post more details as they flow in, I know this situation sucks, I hate it, you hate it.. we all want DSB back!

Patience, this is our very own via dolorosa and we're all carrying the symbolic cross on our backs as we crave for the chance to play DSB again!

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

No worries, I guess we all knew it was not going to happen pretty much the day sneik left staff.

I hope the problem gets solved soon. I also hope you have realised to send email to people about the blackout because only like 5 % read forums. Latest
after a week the rest probably assumed SS is dead. If you haven't.... I suggest to do it.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Good suggestion. A mass email to every email ever registered when it's back up? :/

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

Tembest wrote:No worries, I guess we all knew it was not going to happen pretty much the day sneik left staff.
I spoke with snake, apparently he is working on a game on another platform. He did state he would be willing to work on DSB if and only if we moved to linux asss. He also stated he had servers available - one in the uk, and one if i remember correctly east coast.

At the time the other staff members and myself all agreed that it would be better for dsb if we acquired the linux box ourself's.

Only thing I know for sure, it wll take a shitload of work/time to make the move happen. Not to mention a well designed development structure that various developers could seamlessly plug into. The game concept(s) could wait to be honest, but the development structure needs figured out day one. None of this is easy.

-Fly