Server currently down!

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

Re: Server currently down!

Post by Beer Hunter »

Mass e-mail can be done, I'll look into it. We have been in touch with players online and fb, so I'm confident most know what is going on.

Delic

Post by Delic »

To maximize the effectiveness of mass emails, I suggest you only do
it after we have something new and exciting to offer. That way,
maybe some will stay. If we just send a bunch of emails without
anything to offer then most of them will probably come take a look,
realize that everything is exactly the same as they left them, and
next time they will ignore any advertisement.

I'm still willing to give a hand once a plan has been formed and is
being worked on. I'll have more time for it now also ^_^

cheerio

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

The priority is to get our players back and know that the server is up again. After we've told them that, we can focus on moving forward. I don't think we can get anything new and exciting to offer in this very limited time frame we have before the server goes back up.

Although you're correct, we're not going to get players back in the long run because we've got nothing new to offer but at very least we might be able to get our "normal" population back and finish the BABL we have going on.

For many people it's a surprise the game is alive at all, it's been so long since it was supposed to die. :roll:

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Quick update: DSB is coming back within the next 36-48 hours most likely. We've acquired what we need from our ISP and now we need to get the billing side handled and then we'll be back.

About the mass e-mail thing, working on it. Got some help outside DSB for a huge newsletter with a reach of approximately 3000 old,new or potential players (Including 900 player e-mails from various DSB sources). More details on that later. :ugeek:

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Fly Swatter wrote:
Tembest wrote:No worries, I guess we all knew it was not going to happen pretty much the day sneik left staff.
I spoke with snake, apparently he is working on a game on another platform. He did state he would be willing to work on DSB if and only if we moved to linux asss. He also stated he had servers available - one in the uk, and one if i remember correctly east coast.

At the time the other staff members and myself all agreed that it would be better for dsb if we acquired the linux box ourself's.

Only thing I know for sure, it wll take a shitload of work/time to make the move happen. Not to mention a well designed development structure that various developers could seamlessly plug into. The game concept(s) could wait to be honest, but the development structure needs figured out day one. None of this is easy.

-Fly
In my personal life I'm in IT and when migrating or upgrading platforms there is often a development and test environment before moving things to production. I don't see why we couldn't just setup a asss test or dev environment? I'm really far removed from DSB though so I could be missing something obvious...? :ugeek:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Beer Hunter wrote:Quick update: DSB is coming back within the next 36-48 hours most likely. We've acquired what we need from our ISP and now we need to get the billing side handled and then we'll be back.

About the mass e-mail thing, working on it. Got some help outside DSB for a huge newsletter with a reach of approximately 3000 old,new or potential players (Including 900 player e-mails from various DSB sources). More details on that later. :ugeek:
Great news. I agree with Delic though (first time for everything? ;)) we should have something to announce other then we still have a (very small and very weak) pulse.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Server is back! Everything back to normal! Come join us!

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Beer Hunter wrote:Server is back! Everything back to normal! Come join us!
Woo hoo! :mrgreen:

Detector

Post by Detector »

Guys, aren't we too old for this shit now? Can't believe some people bother to actually keep this zone alive when it's already over from what I know.