Next leagues..

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

Next leagues..

Post by Beer Hunter »

Hello DSBers!

BABL is close to finish so it's time to start the usual debate about next league(s). So far, every single year, it seems that BABL is our most succesful league in terms of sign ups and player amounts. Having steady 4 squads in BABL seems like the most we can pull off with the current population.

The reality, however, is that we can not keep BABL running every month, a change is always good and having some different kind of leagues is a must to keep players interested, if BABL runs as only league, the interest might die and that is the last thing we can allow to happen. Therefore the next league starting early September needs to be something else.

My suggestion for the next league is Team Combat League (TCL). This league was a mild success when it was played, not as huge hit as BABL but still kept players hooked and had activity pretty steady every Sunday.

TCL in short: 3vs3vs3vs3 kind of team elimination tournament. Every squad plays at same time and you gain points for playing or kills or which position you gain each week. Obviously you can play with less than 3 as well, although 3 is the preferrable number therefore if your squad has less than 3 perhaps your chances of making it to the end are lower. In theory this kind of league should inspire people to create more squads too when the requirements are lower, however most likely this will not happen. Therefore same squads which were signed up for BABL will be most likely transferred as they are to TCL. If you wish to alter your squad roster or so, feel free to do so once BABL is over, don't act before that obviously!

Anoter league that I'm planning, mainly for Saturdays to replace the not so succesful event Saturdays is a 2vs2 duel tournament or Teamelim tournament. Obviously this requires teams to show up every week or to have same partner in order to compete, but it should be possible. Perhaps a 3rd guy as a backup in these teams is in order to ensure maximum amount of games played but I'd say that is the ultimate maximum as team size goes in this kind of league. If enough players sign up, we could also have two divisions, Euro and US to cover both timezones, it has turned out during the current DT tournament that some US players can not make the game as it is too early for them.

However the 2vs2 or TE tournament is still on planning stages and it is not planned to begin until the DT tournament is over, but suggestions and discussion is required.

As for the next bigger league to be held on Sundays, TCL is number one on my list, however we will try to have an online vote of some sort during or after the BABL finals on Sunday August 11th to see where the not so active forum users stand in terms of next league.

Discuss and comment below, lets find out what to do next!

Delic

Re: Next leagues..

Post by Delic »

before any new league is started, u should have it as an event first imo to get a buzz going.
the ideal type of event for a future, solid league is 2v2 or 3v3 imho, considering the current population.
this type of event is quick and easy and only requires 4 or 6 players.
since it's quick, it wouldn't bore the players who're waiting for their turn like some other events would.
it's easily expandable to include more players as they pop in.

basically there's a lot of benefits from this concept. a concept which has been very successful in other zones.

for any future population to hold on the long term, we still need an appropriate pub gameplay, which we still don't.
but i guess that's another topic.

cheerio!