Event Sunday

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

Event Sunday

Post by Beer Hunter »

Hello DSB!

Lets try to get some activity for Sundays, perhaps catching enough people to get back on track with league, who knows. We will be hosting different kind of events & stuff every Sunday from 18GMT to 20GMT.

The "schedule" for the events will be flexible, we will attempt to host what we list here but if the player amount is bigger or smaller, the event will change to the one the players want.

Here's the schedule for Sunday, October 28th:

18:00 GMT Dodgeball
19:00 GMT Back Alley Brawl (2-5 vs 2-5 game at ?go bab)
20:00 GMT Player's requests/wishes will decide what will be played at this time.

Possibly other events in between or more than one game of each event, that can be decided right on spot based on player amount & willingness to participate.

This is simply to boost & maintain some sort of activity, a perfect opportunity for players to shake that rust off, perhaps meet some other old or new players. Get to know new players, you know, get connected?

Any thoughts, comments and so on, drop a message below this post and lets talk things through.

Tembest

Re: Event Sunday

Post by Tembest »

Sorry to say this, but... Finally some off-league activities!

The point of this would have been to keep the already existing players here.
I'm just afraid it will be too late now.

Anyway, good job, definitely worth a try.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

I know its late but I was hoping this kind of activities would happen on their own, aka players would ask (through ?host for example or by pming) or play these things by themselves. I mean, pracs as well as bab can be played automated without staff.

However, lets see where this leads us, really hoping we can kill this inactivity and get back on track one way or another.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

It seriously wouldn't hurt to start a ranking for these. I don't know if we have resources for that. Do we need some coding to be
done? But use the same ranking for pracs as Ent's pracbot does. Use the same rankings as TCL did. Babl is a more complicated.
I don't know how to work that out. I, of course, mean individual rankings.

A little competition gives at least some people a reason to show up.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Me and Eridu discussed ranking possibilities and I mentioned it might be good to have some competition. However, it's extremely hard to be done. Manually, perhaps but it needs to be a system which is easy for us to use. I don't want to spend the evening after hosting with rocket science type calculus (anything above 6th grade maths, tbh).

We obviously would need to tie it all together? But it needs to be progressive with possibility to go up or down and the system needs to allow random show ups. It's not like this is a "we demand you to show up all the time" type of thing, this is more of activating and giving something for people to do in DSB in specific times.

Pulling ranking of specific games from prac-bot (ent's), I'm not sure how that works out either.. but it should be possible since it stores all the data and it's even found from DSB.com, so that part is done. However somebody needs to extract the info and make specific system so we can see current rankings, etc.

Good and simple ideas are welcome.. or good coders who can lay thousands of little c++ coded eggs around our dear server to please us and the community.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

The rankings do not necessarily need to be combined for all events.

I don't see anything wrong with rewarding who "show up all the time" as you said. Isn't that what it's about at the moment?
Why wouldn't you want to reward the people who meet the actual goal of these weekends?

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Of course but there is supposed to be a balance, because some of the players are not no lifers who can play every Sunday. Which leads me to the point: player falls behind in scores because the system rewards activity over constant competition, the player most likely wont show up again because either his score is too low or not bothered to try again.

Or well.. what the hell, we can skip thinking about players who cant play all the time and go with acitivity rewarding you most. I might be thinking too much. :shock:

But the point I was after is, there is a lot more to it than just activity and I've seen how players react on these things, especially on giving up once they can no longer win something.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Beer Hunter wrote:But the point I was after is, there is a lot more to it than just activity and I've seen how players react on these things, especially on giving up once they can no longer win something.
You are correct, in the history of DSB that is. You can't just reward activity, that's retarded. That's why we had to change Ent's
pracbot as well. At first he created one that gave everyone a positive reward after each prac. However, his pracbot, at the moment,
rewards those who play a lot, if they know how to play. If you lose all the time, you won't gain anything of course.

Althought at this moment, when the zone is practically dead, I would create a ranking that rewards activity even more. In other
words, perhaps you should get positive rankings all the time now, but still your ranking should fully depend on your performance. If
you sucked, you would get 10 points or whatever compared to a superstar in the prac who got 150, and so on...

This is how anyone can actually win something if they play enough, but an elite player has to show up only every third time to be
able to win it.

Or, then you simply start looking at wins of each player. You reward activity a lot of course, but still the better players are more
likely to win. At the beginning of each prac, captains would be named who choose their teams quickly, and then start the game.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

One BAB game happened until one of the players started having issues with his connection. At least some light at the end of the tunnel it seems! I was not present from the beginning, accidentally slept until 19GMT.

Anyway, we shall stick to similar schedule for next weekend, or perhaps minor altering with diff events, the schedule will be updated later today.

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

I was on a cruise so I couldn't make it.