Current and Future leagues

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Matioso

Re: Current and Future leagues

Post by Matioso »

Pater is there talking with the voice of Everglaze. The point is, start something and quickly. We can think about all those things later :)

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

We'll start the registration for sector based dsbl within the next few days and postpone the beginning of 4vs4 to later time. Realistically this is the only option so this is the one I'm going for.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

It's nice that we have people wanting to get leagues going, but it does seem like we're putting all our efforts into league while ignoring pub. Eventually the league population will dwindle to zero and there will be no-one to replace them. The exact same thing happened in 17th Parallel before that zone died. It makes no sense to do anything until there is a "welcome mat" for new players.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

We are working on pub too! Slightly drunk fast reply....

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Yes Pub needs to be fixed to match whatever the main league of the zone is and BH/Eridu already know this point.

I think now its more along the lines of figuring out what the main league is supposed 2 be since there aint gonna b a 12v12 ever again. I am super high on just turning BABL into pub since its by miles the most fun/newbie friendly thing the zone has and the pop it draws will be more than most other things we could come up with but I do get the nostalgic argument for keeping the old map.

Eridu

Post by Eridu »

Since teams will be playing 4vs4 in each sector. Why not just make this the new 4vs4 league? We can leave the door open for a 6vs6 dsbl15 after this league because we will see a rise in pop! :D

Registration for 4vs4 is already up and 13 players registered. There is no command to change the league name, so I would have to start a new league if we insist on calling it dsbl15 and those 13 players would have to re-register. I really do feel it's best to make this the new 4vs4 league, since no one likes the other anyway, and leave the door open for a 6vs6 dsbl15 where we play sectors the "regular" way.

If 6vs6 ratio is liked, that's 100kill/40flag. I prefer a flat 40 per flag instead of 10 per player, for the times when teams play with less. Who will code the bot with the scoring system needed? We can rush to register but no point if there is no bot for this 4vs4 Sector League. Sounds fun though. ;)

Mr. Tinkles

Post by Mr. Tinkles »

for pbu we shud use the_snake bots lol and just play vs them when no1 is there.. i wud play ther but no1 is there everrrrrrrrrr :<.

Pater Punishment

Post by Pater Punishment »

Thanks to everyone and especially Beer for considering and accepting my suggestion in a timely manner.

Concerning details, here are some strong opinions:

-As for in-game player count, Sever's suggestion table on page 4 is superb. I support that approach for maximum flexibility and interest factor of games. The system allows for low shows to result in games, and when high shows occur, more get to play. In other words it would be stupid to make everyone spec and watch a 2v2 west game, which mostly consists of flying around. Let's not limit ourselves with past here.. really.

-Concerning flag rewards, Eridu's idea of 40 point flat rate per flag is better than per player count. That would also make 4v3 etc situations more even. That is IF this is possible to code before October.

-I'd say the 2.5 ratio (100 points for kill vs. 40 points for one flag) sounds about right. It means 8 kills can make up for a fully lost 0 points east bell. It means if you warp to a flag in south at bell, and get the whole pole, you win 3,2 kills. The ratio COULD be higher too, but to leave any interest in flagging and alternative tactics, I think we should just go with this.

-If you cant code flat rate in time, lower the ratio to 2.0, in other words 80 points per kill. Most games will probably be played 3v3?

-I really think every sector win should be rewarded with one point. This surely adds spice to the challenger teams, when they could still, for example, go for south and west wins after losing east and north terribly. Think high motivation for every game, no matter how the last 20 minutes ended. This applies especially to regular season, but I thought about it, and suspect that also playoffs will work better this way (only tiebreakers use added point wins/losses from sectors).

Thanks for feedback everyone, very sensible ideas left and right here.

Also BH, I suggest you send a mass email spampost like a couple of months ago to announce this league, right after registration opens. If you do, I'd like to be credited with this idea, or you should mention that it was thought up by the players or smth. This might bring some players back to form a small team.

-Px

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Yep, 1 point per sector is best.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Pater Punishment

Post by Pater Punishment »

One tweak to Sever's table: allow 5vs5 in north, west and south if both caps agree.