Current and Future leagues

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Tembest

Re: Current and Future leagues

Post by Tembest »

I changed the kill value to 80 because any other change would have been impossible for me to do.
I don't know crap about coding or anything else.

And I only changed the value because Beer said in his post that most likely no one knows how to fix the (150) in any way,
and we're going to have to play the league with that, which would've been horrible.

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know I'm still around. Things have been nuts irl lately, so I haven't had time for any games or whatnot. I have no time to do bot updates either, sorry guys :(

But hopefully we can figure out a way to get a league going

Super Duper

Post by Super Duper »

Is there gonna be an attempt to revive regular league or some kind of sector league? Or is it just BAB from now on?

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Super Duper wrote:Is there gonna be an attempt to revive regular league or some kind of sector league? Or is it just BAB from now on?
Trying to revive league with this low population would be just another failed attempt.
I hate babl, but for some reason it is currently by far the most popular league mode.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Popularity and majority rules. In other words, BABL is most succesful league we have and seems to be the only league able to draw "everybody" to DSB. Therefore, even if we wanted to create or re-use our old leagues, it's impossible. We have the means and resources to play other leagues but that is not the problem, the amount of players participating goes down along with activity if we change to other league!!

It is a shame how our population has changed to favor one thing over everything else. Of course in bigger picture, DSBL was always a lot more popular than the secondary league, 4vs4, was. However when we had that big population, it did not matter as much. Nowadays, low population just brings out the favorites much more and easier to spot.

Unless somebody can create a league or event which will be as popular as BABL, we don't have any options other than keep playing BABL. Of course we can spice things up with different kind of rules/formats/maps if players want that.

Delic

Post by Delic »

Of course returning to the leagues that require the population
we used to have won't work. I think we just need type of events
/ leagues that don't require many players. That's what I had in
mind for a 3vs3 league a few months ago. And not just killing kuz
I think that's gotten boring by now. Maybe throw in a mobile flag...
It sounds simple but it could be fun if done right.

We need more variety, more new stuff that's done and presented
properly. We're definitely doomed if we choose to only rely on a
league like BABL to attract players. If we can't offer anything new
and interesting > no new players > no former glory with classic leagues.

Well I'm not sure if I'm contributing with anything here since I'm just
stating the obvious, but unless we start an initiative like that (or
something at least), I don't think there's much of a chance to return
to the classic leagues. It would be a slow process, but at least it's an
attempt.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

One thing we need to remember here is that our population behaves in completely different manner than the old population did. We have new generation sort of, who do not find the fun from the classic leagues as the vets do. Even if we were able to get our population back to numbers which could support a "classic" league, it is very uncertain if these players who play the game would actually participate.

We can start fresh with small, perhaps 3vs3 event with few objectives perhaps? Such as mobile flag like Delic mentioned, carry it to your base from place X, protect it for time X? Perhaps other objectives could be lighter, such as kill person X within timeframe Y to obtain -X amount of seconds (minutes?) from the time needed to hold the flag.. stuff like that?

This kind of thing might even give us a completely fresh start, who knows. It takes a lot from the current population (VETS INCLUDED) to adapt to new games and in the end if we start a change of any kind it must have support from the current players and participation is extremely important, even if you don't like the game at first.

Why is participation so important? That is the only way we can possibly lure some new players to the game, by showing up on weekends to play, participate leagues and actively promote ourselves to new players. We can not do anything with any new league concept if 30% or so of the current players do not participate - it's just another waisted effort of our resources. (This has been demonstrated, for example when we attempted to do 4vs4 league - first in classic formation, then in the new formation, roughly 30% less players, only 2-3 squads.. had no choice but to suck it up and go back to BABL to regain our numbers league wise).

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Pretty much every veteran who played DSB due to its brilliant gameplay and settings has already quit. Everything possible has been
ripped off them ages ago, either when we started to play "killing only" leagues or when we moved to babl. So, a friendly advice,
forget about the remaining veterans; most of them will play whatever as long as the ship settings do not change.

Besides, the remaining veterans are one reason why we aren't getting new players. They just get raped by the vets over and over
again. That's not very much fun you know.

Delic

Post by Delic »

Beer I think we should give new players options before we tell them to come play dsb.
obiouslly what were offering them right now isnt appealing to them. I think its pretty unlikely that sticking to babl until the end of time wont change that, but either way it wouldnt hurt to present other options.

I still firmly believe that the way we present and promote our games plays a big part of our failure to attract ppl. In the past there were enough ppl around in ss to just rely on the quality of our gameplay. Dsb got stuck with that mentality and were now missing essential "marketing" methods. Couple that with the fact that were not rly offering new players anything new and interesting and its not rly that hard to figure out why this zone is failing.

Detector

Post by Detector »

its not rly that hard to figure out why this zone is failing
Beastie wanted this zone to die, maybe he succeeded in it. Atleast thats what he said before.