4 vs 4 League

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Tembest

Re: 4 vs 4 League

Post by Tembest »

Am I stupid enough to miss the exploits?

Tell me, if it's something we can prevent, we'll do it. If not, we won't use this system for sure.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

I think using freq specified ships takes out some of the idea behind 4vs4, like I said it's supposed to be a strategic team duel where you can play what ship you like to bring out the best of yourself. However you must remember that you also have to play as a team. Limiting freq 0 and freq 1 takes some of those options down.

Btw, our biggest issue, we really dont have time to modify the bot for all the changes. The bot is old, coded by Bjorn if I remember correctly so it might not even be possible for Ent to edit it, not to mention he has no time either.

kemi

Post by kemi »

I can live with either.

But no you cannot really prevent it.

But if we cannot fix the bot then this is easily decided.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Then let's go with the old format. It's only like 7-8 weeks anyway. Maybe the focus should be on whatever is the bigger league after that.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Guys seriously get those squads up and build them in time. Only 2 weeks left before league begins, I know it takes a while to drag all the ppl to your rosters so better start now!

If we're not getting squads and people for this league, lets say at least 4 squads, would be best if we had 6, then it's pretty pointless to move forward with this. :|

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Unfortunately it's your only choice. If you don't get enough squads registered, trying any leagues even after this is pointless.
So I suggest you don't give up hope on this. Because if this league does not happen, the only option is to ?zonegrant Delic
and see if he will do his tricks or will the zone die.

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

This is my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

DSB4v4 to us (a bunch other zoners) was fun that one season I brought us over due to the fact that the timer limit was shorter and we could run and sneak victories against other squads. IIRC we had one upset victory and vets hated us for running but to me that is all part of 4v4 in any zone.

The problem now is, 4v4 is just too huge an ask for people to want to take part in. It requires more skill and is way less fun than something like BABL. Heck, if I wanted to play 4s, I would just play it in TW or EG anytime where there is an automated bot and I'm not restricted by times. Playing at midnight (khmer time) or 3am (Aussie Time) doesn't really cut it for me anymore, I have some semblance of a life now as compared to 5 years ago.

Another fact is the tire of BH and Eridu running things. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are doing a bad job. Please note that I respect and appreciate their dedication to the zone and keeping the league alive but it really is time for fresh-blood to bring in new ideas/are willing to make the changes. Gonna just use the DB Tourney example since its fresh of the top of my head. 3/4 captains in the top 4 of Dodgeball (me, kemi, mati) all wanted playoffs and I even pitched and idea out to Eridu to give us a proper DB Playoff but nothing got done. Could also go on about how almost every other zone (HZ,ProL,TW,EG etc) has increased limits to 300ms yet DSB still sticks at sub 150ms / would like to bitch about a million other things but that's not really the point of discussion here.

IMO, it probably would be a better idea to try out a more newbie friendly league which vets would still want to participate in. (I mean people dedicated to the zone like Mati will take part in whatever DSB decides to run anyways). Something like BABL was encouraging on selected maps, but one-sided games tend to be mostly un-fun for everyone involved. Take some time to refresh, you don't have to do back2back leagues. Have your DSB Brain-Trust consisting of more than just BH & Eridu come up with something different, brilliant yet fun and revive the zone, cause its pretty obvious no one wants to play a 4v4.

Again, this is my 2 cents worth, and I am more a SSer than a hardcore DSBer in TW/EG/HZ squads so take my opinions with a pinch of salt.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Nubby I need a EGL team, is that you? I am not too keen on EGFL due to like you said the 300 ms laglimiuts since the entire league concept is about who can lagattach the furthest into enemy base..

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Tembest wrote:Unfortunately it's your only choice. If you don't get enough squads registered, trying any leagues even after this is pointless.
So I suggest you don't give up hope on this. Because if this league does not happen, the only option is to ?zonegrant Delic
What tricks? They gave him 17th parallel and a year or two later, fuck all had changed.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

jim the chin wrote:
Tembest wrote:Unfortunately it's your only choice. If you don't get enough squads registered, trying any leagues even after this is pointless.
What tricks? They gave him 17th parallel and a year or two later, fuck all had changed.
I have absolutely no idea. Point being, if the next league fails, you can just throw the zone to anyone because it's the only option left.