4 vs 4 League

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Nubby

Re: 4 vs 4 League

Post by Nubby »

For Kemi,

EG is now running Combined League "EGAL" aka EG Autumn League. 3 Leagues mashed into 1, easier for the squads and separate ladders for each "league"

What this consists off is basically your standard weekend EGFL match.
But also, an automated EGBDL (Base-Duel) and EGETDL (Same to previous editions of EGL). EGBDL and EGETDL have no specific matchtimes akin to TWDD and just have playoffs for the top 4 teams.

I don't run a squad in EG, I just sit on one, but with this format you get to try out different variants of EG which was what I was trying to get DSB to incorporate cause you get to play with different people who are good at different aspects and it is actually quite fun.

SideNote: Also Individual Leagues are a terrible dumb idea. In 2012, if I wanted to soloplayer I would vs Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Madden, FIFA even frelling Football Manager before racing in Spaceships. Wake up friends and spend your productivity elsewhere lol :)

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Nubby wrote:SideNote: Also Individual Leagues are a terrible dumb idea. In 2012, if I wanted to soloplayer I would vs Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Madden, FIFA even frelling Football Manager before racing in Spaceships. Wake up friends and spend your productivity elsewhere lol :)
There's no productivity required as everything is basically ready. They basically just have to :bot:!start
So you claim it's better to only have pub there? You know individual league still means competing against other players?
Just that the scoring is based on your own performance rather than the team performance, which is something most
people love because they are rewarded for their own efforts.
Besides, pracs are by 10000 miles the most popular thing ever existed in DSB.

People who claim having less than more to choose from are ridiculous. People tend to make their own decisions what they
want to play. We should grant that opportunity to everyone rather than force them to play a meaningless pub that offers
them zero challenge.

Please Nubby, explain, why on earth would it be a bad idea to offer players an individual league as an alternative to play?
Racing league is the only one of those where you play alone and compete against other people's time. But even that should
definitely be offered as an option for people. What else would they do when they are ALONE in the zone? Just like I am
when I log in because I don't play during prime time. Now the only thing I have to do is to press F11, shoot rocks, fly around
deathstar cluelessly, and quit. Do I even come back later on to check if someone is online? No, I don't care. Logging in gave
me a frustrated and bad feeling. I was looking for something to do and DSB could not offer me ANYTHING...

Yea, I agree it's great to not offer people anything to do. Get real.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Hmmm ok, but Base duel and EGFL is 99% about who lags the most but stays within limits... Always through that was pretty gay

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Yeh, EGBDL and EGFL are about who lags the most more or less now of days.

Also, I honestly misunderstood what you meant by individual leagues. I thought you wanted to come up with a whole new single-player theme-concept for a league and not something as insignificant as just Player Rankings. DSB used to keep scores before and no one really gave 2 shits - Only person I knew who gave half a shit about that was Affined (and maybe you now too). People would play prac because they enjoyed playing prac as opposed to caring about player rankings. Ditto with Racing when DSB used to have a !top10 best time list? You can still ?go prac and play a prac game, are the individual scores really make or break? Seriously. No one who has stayed with this shit this long is going to leave over this.

But yes I do agree with you, if all it takes is !start, please do it and link it to the website if possible.

Lastly, thanks for nailing the white elephant in the room/hitting the most important point. Lets fix up pub so DSB doesn't have to be singleplayer mode. http://www.deathstarbattle.com/forums/v ... 9&start=60

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

ugh, leave eg leagues to private messages ok?
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I am one of the few people who have never given a damn about statistics or rankings. However, surprisingly many people do care about those, or least have.

Anyhow, take the following as an example.

There is a map at ?go raceleague but it does not record your time. You can fly it if you want to. Most likely you won't because there is nothing different
from simply mindlessly flying around the deathstar. If there however is a bot that records your time and keeps a list, you have reason to play it, whether
to overcome your own times or then beat others. It gives you a reason to fly it.

Games are meant to be competitive at some level. If you have a prac arena, people can prac and some will. But the people who care about statistics
have no reason to play unless there is some sort of a ranking system. The ranking system was implemented in the first place by request from players.
I personally was against it in the first place because I thought it would ruin the point of pracs and everyone would start playing for themselves rather
than the team. That was partly the case. Nevertheless, the introduction of ranking system made pracs a lot more competitive and therefore nicer to play.

In the end, rewarding people with personal records takes nothing away from others. It only encourages certain type of people to play and put more time
into the game.

And this:
jim the chin wrote:ugh, leave eg leagues to private messages ok?

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

7 players registered for the league and it's only like 10 days till the beginning of the league.
People better register their squads and players damn fast or we can call this league done.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

I can't play/register for another 3 weeks.

Anyway, kemi makes a big song and dance about how good 4v4 is, but I always got the feeling that most other players don't like it anywhere near as much. The amount of forfeits has always been high. We may have over-estimated interest in this league.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

kemi and Mati are probably the only ones who have always played it. :)

But I'm not so sure it's about the chosen league. A huge bunch of our current players don't even know what it is.
It might just be that they aren't interested in playing the game.

The 6vs6 is scheduled to start in like 10 weeks, right?

Now we have a dilemma. We don't have enough people participating in this league. But we cannot wait 10 weeks
without playing anything or I can guarantee you, that you can kiss goodbye to leagues for now. Then you need
to start with pub and old players will be gone for good.

kemi

Post by kemi »

I didn't start playing until League 5 or 6 of it I think.

Mati might know since we played on same team the first 3-4 years I played