What do you prefer?

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

Re: What do you prefer?

Post by Beer Hunter »

Automated racing league and duelling league can be done as far as Ent can handle the bots (Ent the ball is on you with those). I personally am against automated BABL, we've tried automated leagues in the past and most have failed due to interest being low. We've discussed this many times, squads, players, they just do not find the time to gather and play vs each other. With such a small community we have, it is even harder to have automated league where you need many players online at once to play. I mean okay, one squad might have enough but the other one doesnt, then other one does and other one doesnt.

DSBers have done and showed up much better in admin scheduled format, which is why I prefer doing BABL that way. Then we have designated times when players and squads are expected to show and games will be played properly no matter what. (We tried sector league for example for few times, few squads were active and paticipated but rest were mostly scattered or inactive, learning from those mistakes is the thing I'd like to point out here, back then we had more players than now and the success was very far far away from the galaxy).

PS. As Ent revealed our plans for 12 vs 12 and BABL to be ran simultaneously, how do you guys feel about that? Secondly, if we have time left after these, short run of 4vs4 can be done I think.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Prioritize 4 vs 4 high above BABL

Running them simultaneously means people need to show more etc.. I think it is optimistic at best. But everything can be tried once

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

Agreed with kemi. And also agreed with BH about about automated "big" leagues. It's a shame that they don't work out tho. And like kemi said, everything can be tested, once :)

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Hai. 12v12 or even 6v6 like teh last DSBL is a pretty bad idea since the population isnt there and no one really cares enough about it anymore.

Do a combined BABL/4v4 or BABL/3v3 league like what EG ran earlier this year which saw people interested in the zone again.

1:Nubby> Ur team will have the same players for games but have a separate standing for each league (so 1 roster but 2 competitions, 1 played directly after the other)

To increase activity and to get players to actively play the zone, (and EG was pretty successful at that) -

1:Nubby> Also anyways back to the whole BABL/4v4 combined thing
1:Nubby> U cud do it with like a ELO rating system
1:Nubby> Weekday matches are worth less
1:Nubby> And Weekend matches are worth more
1:Nubby> Weekend are the scheduled matches

Basically you have scheduled weekend matches as per normal, but during the weekdays if a squad has enough on they can challenge another squad with enough on for rating points too. (Remember this is using the ELO system)

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I agree that the biggest league shouldn't be an automated league. However, people
won't keep playing the zone for long when Sunday is the only day when literally
anything happens in the zone. It's hard to remember to show up, the lack of interest
grows bigger as the interval between logins is rather long.

Also, as other zones have been doing just great with automated leagues. The problem
isn't with the idea but the implementation in DSB.

At least reset the prac stats, make them IP tied and fix the scoring system.
Then there's at least one league for people to play. Then you could announce in pub
map "Player of the Week: Sulla" after gathering most points during one week. Then
"Best of all time: Matioso" being the highest in rankings. Even better make the pracs
be played on pub map.

kemi

Post by kemi »

I like the idea of IP releated scores, we got too many smurfs in that "league" :)

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

I have to agree with temb on many things with that post.
First, by making stats ip related would change the constant smurfing around which is quite annoying as we know. Resetting stats board in prac arenas like every two weeks would keep ppl playing more pracs, like in pub.

Secondly, it's good now that you have added scoreboard to pub (dunno how often it shows up), but like temb said you could add a board (or announce or both) which tells the best players of the week/month/year in the map, like we used to have. The more stats and glory the better, even tho in fact they don't tell much.

About automated leagues tho. I know they haven't worked out in the past, that's why im a bit skeptical. Anyhow, like nubby and you tembest pointed out, we could ,and we should, try them out on weekdays to find out if we can get more population by using them. This would be especially good idea if we got even new players to play automated leagues, in pub or elsewhere. But the problem in this is what kind of league would be automated. 4v4? babl? And how to do it. Also, this is a lot of work for our dev staff.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

I think the bigger question in automated leagues is, how do we draw players from other zones to ours? Simple "hey, we finally have automated leagues" wont do. :oops:

In other words, what is so appealing that the people already used to the very populated and popular automated leagues in other zones would stop and move to DSB? Our system, game play or something needs to be superior and more compelling to them. Otherwise our "automated league" stint will again be, just a short test run with same old DSB crew.

Difficulty this is. :?

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

That is true indeed as with any league, automated or not...
Where do we get the players from? However, it doesn't really have anything to do with
the league being automated.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Reset prac stats like people have been saying. Every month announce the top 10 best players, then reset and start again. Simple league, ready made.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.