Next League Discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Entr0py

Next League Discussion

Post by Entr0py »

Hey all,

I want to open discussion on what will happen next after TCL. A couple of options that staff has discussed are:

1) BABL;
2) We do a 1-month draft league, to consist of 3-4, maybe 5 MAX squads, to be played 12v12. (it would be like DSB Cup, but draft)

I'd like to hear other thoughts on these, and other league ideas.

kemi

Re: Next League Discussion

Post by kemi »

I like the second suggestion, but I would love to hear where you attend to get enough players for this?

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

We had BABL recently and I wouldn't be interested in playing it again so soon.

I like the draft idea for a 12v12 league. We all miss this league a lot, and a draft would make it extra competitive too. I think you would aim for 4 teams of about 16-20 players. Everyone plays eachother twice before the playoffs. So 6 weeks followed by 3 weeks of playoffs. I think you should do something novel with the scoring. Rather than points for a win, use the points won in the game. So if a team won 385,000 - 233,000 then give the teams 385 and 233 points in the league table. That seems more reflective of actual performance.

Playoffs Week 1 would be 1v4 and 2v3, with points tripled and added to the league table. This means that league performance counts for something. It means that 4th place still has an outside chance of reaching the final. Triple points makes these playoff matches very important. After these matches we have the final league table to decide the last matches of the league.

Playoffs Week 2 and 3 are 1v2 and 3v4 (as they stand in the final league table after week 1). All previous performance is wiped. These are best of 3 ties. One match is played in Week 2, then a second (and possibly third) match is played in Week 3.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Babl can be played if it's automated... Or well I cannot figure out why isn't it automated
and running while we play other leagues?? This way we could actually have at least some
activity even during the week.

A draft league could be played but I don't know.. Perhaps 6vs6? Where the hell can we get the
players for a 12vs12 as kemi said? Unless someone is seriously going to get all the email addresses
from league.nu and spam them all.

kemi

Post by kemi »

4 teams of 16-20? From where.

And in TCL we got like 8 teams of 10 players and we can barely get 5 teams to show with 3...

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

12v12 with two teams?

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Basically when it comes to 12 vs 12 draft league, each veteran should pick 1-3 friends and form a core of draft squad out of that. Then, once you've done this, you can move forward to public, pracs, anywhere and recruit "rookies" for your draft league team. Although the job does not end there, you need to train and help those guys too, while it makes them better, it also makes your squad better and you don't need to "worry" so much about performing badly.

Taking this step is hard for many, I acknowledge that. However, through this kind of process it MIGHT be possible to have more than 2 squads which play the 12 vs 12 draft league. I can not guarantee anything but any steps you, the players, are willing to take to break the barrier between rookies and vets is always a mission which establishes us new playerbase with satisfied players. (Believe me, the 1-10 or 0-10 rape some squads deliver in the current TCL is not exactly pleasing weekend after weekend, which is why some sort of balance, even for one league, could be considered).

Can I hear the door banging loud and the elitism running for cover? :roll:

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

kemi wrote:4 teams of 16-20? From where.

And in TCL we got like 8 teams of 10 players and we can barely get 5 teams to show with 3...
Well, 8x10=80 players which is what I'm basing the 4 teams of 20 players on. In the TCL match last week (which btw is less of a draw for players than DSBL), I saw 6 teams of 3, with at least 4 extra people present to play if they were needed. That's 22 people at the match. We need 24 for 12v12. Admittedly, 2 squads on a given day won't have all the active people in them, but we wouldn't be far off, and the appeal of DSBL will be higher. There would need to be an option to play 9v9 or 6v6, with squads who show up with more players getting bonus points.

Also, an automated BAB league would be nice in the background to encourage activity during the week in addition to pracs.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

More detailed response coming, as I'm at work and haven't had the time to read every post.

But in response to where we will get the players, there are 3 arguments why it could work:

1) Last DSBL had over 100 players; TCL has 80; If we could even get 80 players to sign up, we could have 3 or 4 squads that could play 12v12

2) Players show up to the need - for example, DSB Cup worked despite everyone saying nobody would come to 12v12. When we had 12v12, showups were 9 or 10 players. For 6v6, showups were 4 or 5 players. I think we could manage it

3) We could figure out a way to allow subs - for example, perhaps a game-day draft for last-minute players to fill out player spots

4) It's a month-long summer league, so it's worth a try, right?

I know this is optimistic, but hey, we could use some optimism around here. We don't really have anything to lose for trying.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Lol Ent, so what you're saying is that we should make a 12 vs 12 league and be happy if 9 or 10 show?....

I just find that really amusing and really sad....

But I doubt we can get 48+ players to show each week for a 4 team 12 vs 12...

I would prefer a 4-5 team 6 vs 6 league taking our player base into consideration