TCL Quick Action Thread - Suggest Improvements

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Entr0py

TCL Quick Action Thread - Suggest Improvements

Post by Entr0py »

Alrighty, the first weekend is finished. I already see some good suggestions on how to improve the league. I want to get the ideas out there in this thread so we can make immediate improvements for next week.

To make this simpler, when you comment, please order your suggestions in this organization:

1) Match times (which times on Sundays/Saturdays are optimal for both Euros and North Americans?)
2) # of matches per weekend (1 on Sunday, 2 on Sunday, 1 on Sat and 1 on Sun?)
3) Map - did this one work, or should we use another, and if so, which?
4) Match time limits - is 1 hr too long? Is 30 minutes enough time so that the match won't end prematurely?
5) Gameplay - was the gameplay fun? Should it be changed in any way?
6) Bot - did you notice any problems? Any suggestions to make it easier to use, bugs that you noticed, etc.
7) Other - anything else you can think of.

I've already taken a list of a few things I need to improve on the technical side. For one, in the next day or two, I'll make it so that the standings at the website reflect the correct points. For two, I'll make it so that the match record on the website reflects the correct team names.

kemi

Re: TCL Quick Action Thread - Suggest Improvements

Post by kemi »

1) Match times (which times on Sundays/Saturdays are optimal for both Euros and North Americans?)
18 GMT is fine

2) # of matches per weekend (1 on Sunday, 2 on Sunday, 1 on Sat and 1 on Sun?)
Depends on when they are and how long the timelimit is:
If match time between 20-40 minutes then 2 games.
If longer than 40 minutes then only 1 game.
If 2 games, then they have to be played very close to each other, fx one at 18 GMT (that actually starts on time) and one that begins EXACTLY 18:45 GMT

3) Map - did this one work, or should we use another, and if so, which?
This map was pretty bad. However I am not sure which other one to use. The one from normal TE might be worth a shot though. But it is hard to say in advance, except that the ATW one is gonna be the worst of all for something like this
The map needs safe zones and lots of them that gets locked at go with lasers.
I would personally like to try the 4 vs 4 map for this though, or the old elim map

4) Match time limits - is 1 hr too long? Is 30 minutes enough time so that the match won't end prematurely?
60 minutes is way too long. The two games that were played yesterday could easily have ended after 30 minutes without causing anything. But perhaps we should start out by trying 40 mins or so?... But regardless of what we choose we need the games to begin on time if we are to have two matches....

5) Gameplay - was the gameplay fun? Should it be changed in any way?
I like the fact that the reward for laming isn't high, and it instead is killing that is rewarded

6) Bot - did you notice any problems? Any suggestions to make it easier to use, bugs that you noticed, etc.
It didn't record the scores from the first game.
It seems to be very delayed on speccing the last guy that gets killed out of the losing team
We need shipchanges to be controlled by the bot
We need the bot to make sure that you get burned if you don't shipchange within a certain amount of time

7) Other - anything else you can think of.
The timelimit and playing the matches close together and actually starting them in time will have the biggest effect by far

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

kemi wrote: 6) Bot - did you notice any problems? Any suggestions to make it easier to use, bugs that you noticed, etc.
It didn't record the scores from the first game.
It seems to be very delayed on speccing the last guy that gets killed out of the losing team
We need shipchanges to be controlled by the bot
We need the bot to make sure that you get burned if you don't shipchange within a certain amount of time
Someone probably didn't !re...the results are on the website so it recorded them at least.

Also, it's delayed because it's already ended the match and is in the process of sending the results to the website. I'll make a functionality improvement so it does this after it's announced the game's end.

Why control ship changes by bot?

I think it does burn if you ship change after 15 seconds after a death.

kemi

Post by kemi »

BH did !re, but it said 0 on all the scores when he did it.

And apparently that didn't work either, since one of the speccers on my freq saw a guy recycle for specs at least (or sc rather)

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

It has also been proposed that we do +10 points per player, instead of +30 for a squad that plays regardless of their number. If we do this, we need a clear definition of what a "player" is, that is, when we count and when we don't. Here are some extreme examples that demonstrate why we need this definition:

Ex 1: Suppose a squad shows with 1 player for 29 minutes in a match. Then suppose 2 teammates show up for the final 1 minute of the match and play. Does that squad get +10 or +30?

Ex 2: Suppose a squad shows up with 3, and the match starts. Then suppose 2 of the players lag out and don't return and the remaining guy plays for the rest of the match. Does that squad get +30 or +10?

Ex 3: Suppose a squad shows up with all 10 of their roster, and all 10 get playtime. Does that squad get +100 or +30?

ISSUES:
We can't base a "player" on the amount of playtime, since players get eliminated and therefore there isn't a standard playtime for all players.

Thoughts?

kemi

Post by kemi »

I say +30 in all your examples

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

kemi wrote:I say +30 in all your examples
Agreed with kemi. 30 should be the maximum and all squads
that have played at least 3 different players at any point
of the match, should get 30 points. It means 3 players have
showed up, and thus, should result in maximum show up bonus.

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

Ok, another hypothetical. Suppose we award +10 for any player who plays no matter the amount of time, up to a max of +30. And suppose a squad shows up with 2 who play the entire match. And suppose a squad shows up with 1 who plays 39 minutes, and then 2 of his squadmates show up and play for 1 minute and then leave. Then the first squad gets +20, while the second squad gets +30, despite the fact that the first squad obviously had far more solid show, and the second squad basically cheated by getting players to hop in for a few seconds.

Another issue is that if all a squad needs to get +10 is players to hop in, then what's to stop a squad from recruiting players right at match-time to get them to hop in? Don't say a 7 day eligibility wait period :p

kemi

Post by kemi »

I see the issue with the first, but I could easily live with that. And the alternatives that would have to be made in the rules are in my opinion far worse.

To your second point. People are already doing that, and if that mean they will get a better show up the week after I am all for it.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I'm fine by it as well.

How is it different from now? Nothing stops them from recruiting
players right before match when they don't have three.

They would still benefit more from all the players playing instead
of them just hopping in and speccing.

I don't see a problem with it.

The only eligibility rule the needs to be is to prevent people from
joining squads back and forth.