S/PDIF

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Seriel Killer

S/PDIF

Post by Seriel Killer »

Hey,

I have had this Digital Audio device disabled since I bought this computer a few years ago because
I did not know anything about it. Now i'm looking to turn it on.

Reading about SPDIF ( Digital Audio ) I learn that it's a standard for Dolby surround.. does that mean
that the surround sound I get from my RCA cable (normal input jacks 3.5mm) are not real surround?
or is it just worse tone separation? ... or what?

Can somebody explain the difference when using SPDIF and how is it better than my:
Realtek High Definition Audio device (+RCA to Subwoofer)

Thanks

Ssseth

Re: S/PDIF

Post by Ssseth »

If you are only doing 2.1 then it doesn't matter much. If you want 5.1 though and are going to an amplifier then spidif (or optical audio) out does 5.1 using only one cable. been using spidif from my computer to amp on my htpc (hooked up to a hd projector) for years.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

From what I read till your reply, I understand that it only works for files that have been encoded in a compressed 5.1 audio into 2 channels.

So if I play games or just listen to music I get 2 channels only, is that right?

Also, how much better is it?

Another question:

How much better is having a sound card... like Creative Live 7.1... how better is it than just regular onborad sound card?

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Correct, unless your amp has one of those fake 5.1 sound modes, it can convert 2 channel to fake 5. I think you can do it from your computer too (I have never tried, I do it on my amp/reciever if I want to). Pretty much all newer games have 5.1 though, at least bigger scale ones. Same with all movies as long as you download the "AC3" version.

I'm not much of an audiophile but I definately can tell the difference between 2 ch and 5 channel audio. Not just quality but the proper surround setup can make all the difference in games and movies. You are right though that music is just 2 ch, unless you use the simulated/fake 5.1 mode of course.

Honestly unless you are a DJ or something onboard audio is just fine for the last 5+ years at least. It's all digital anyway. What exactly is it you are trying to do anyway?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

This device has been on my PC for the last 4 years or so...

Lately I have been wanting to upgrade my sound system so I looked into this digital output thing.

Turns out if you want to upgrade you need to spend at least 200 bucks on a decent sound system lol

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Or you can just get a decent pair of Logitech 5.1 speakers that work with the plain old headphone style plugs on the back of your pc. Can probably get a decent set for under $100 and you'd be surprised how good they sound. I used to have that before I bought my house 6 or 7 years ago.

Again though, I guess it comes back to what you are looking to do which you never really said. ;)

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Wow! People certainly have different needs but even with $200 you cannot get an average sound system. :)
Not to mention $100...

I had to spend $800 for a good system. And it's nothing more than an average good system.

But Seth definitely got it right, you can still improve a lot from 4-year-old poor speakers to a set of $100.
They are probably ok for you. As long as the quality improves, you're satisfied, so it would probably even
be stupid to throw in more money at once. And in case you have never tried 5.1 or 7.1, you should, because
even if you buy the cheapest set there is, that will be a whole new experience for you. :)

PS. On a completely another note, have we had spam the last few days? I banned the bots IPs, and was wondering
if that helped anything.

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

Well, the best you can get in the range of 100-300 bucks is 5.1 surround 75RMS, at least in this country.

I've checked eBay and it doesn't look promising at all, so Tembest is quite right... you need around 600-800bucks
to get a good sound system.

I want surround sound for my room. I guess 75RMS total (30RMS Subwoofer) does the trick, I just wanted to upgrade
to get better sound separation and quality. So should I turn to buy a sound card for that?

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

My current setup is about 800 ish but it's in my home theater basement room. If I was in an apartment or condo it would be a waste of money.

For an office/room the 100 buck Logitech ones sound pretty good IMO.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

PS. On a completely another note, have we had spam the last few days? I banned the bots IPs, and was wondering
if that helped anything.
Actually I think it might be worse. I just deleted a whole bunch and I hadn't noticed any before that for quite a while. Could be just another mod got there first do delete ones in the past begore I came here though so take that feedback with a grain of salt...