DSB Monthly gaming weekends 2018

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

DSB Monthly gaming weekends 2018

Post by Beer Hunter »

DSB monthly gaming weekend

The plan is to play once a month for at least two days. Each month has a time and date set for one Friday and Saturday when we will be playing DSB and staff will be there to host anything players may want to play. On each day during the weekend we could begin at 1pm EST/18:00GMT and continue till we drop.

Here’s a rough idea of what our gaming weekends could look like:

Fridays: Building it up: Pubbing and events
Saturdays: 12 vs 12 games, BAB, Pracs
  • Schedule, till end of the year:

January 19th & 20th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    February 16th & 17th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    March 16th & 17th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    April 20th & 21st 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    May 18th & 19th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    June 15th & 16th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    July 20th & 21st 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    August 17th & 18th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    September 14th & 15th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    October 19th & 20th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    November 16th & 17th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
    December 14th & 15th 1pm EST / 18:00GMT
Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Ssseth

Re: DSB Monthly gaming weekends 2018

Post by Ssseth »

Great idea. Just curious on the thoughts of a Friday-Saturday instead of a Saturday-Sunday?

Granted this is from the perspective of a North American where the Friday time slot is in the middle of a standard work/school day.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Biggest problem with playing on Sundays is that TW Leagues usually begin 2pm or 3pm EST. A great number of our (active) target group also plays these leagues.

Magnum Size

Post by Magnum Size »

- 18gmt for Friday will be tough to gain population. How was that Friday population we tried at 4pm (21gmt)?
- For Sunday, would it make sense if we tried 12pm (17gmt) instead of using a Friday time slot? I understand that would only give us a 2-3 hours of game play due to tw league matches.
- Saturday time slot is perfect

Scheduling 2 consecutive days a month is fine. I'll need to setup a consistent advertisement system in order to make this work. Also I'll need to increase my advertising using steam.

On a side note there's several players that don't use facebook, dsb forums or weren't added on the email distribution list. We need to be proactive and get their emails. For example, Savaship heard about the 20th anniversary from word of mouth. If it wasn't for Enigma22 reaching out to him, he wouldn't have logged in.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Makes sense about Sunday. I didn’t know about that.

I agree on advertising or whatever we want to call it. My brother L()ki heard it from me as well. Many of the emails aren’t valid anymore but I’m not sure what can actually be done about it. How do you get something like that if you have no way to contact them. Catch 22 or chicken and egg scenario.

When is the Steam relaunch or whatever it’s called happening?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Steam exposure rounds begin in couple days, exact date must be 7th or 10th, to be confirmed within couple days.

We can try to arrange something for Sunday before TW begins but competing vs them has never worked out and odds for it working out now are thin.

Basically, expecting Fridays to be slow in terms of population (however, we have some active euros as well so who knows?) until it gets around 6pm or so when north american players are free. However it's great way to build up the crowd and play some smaller events on that day.

Advertising is a tough one, basically without any methods to collect new e-mails or contact info outside fb/forums is tough. Any help on that front is acceptable.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Makes sense. I’m away on vacation for a couple weeks so I won’t be around for awhile. Good luck!

wo

Post by wo »

Sunday is still the better choice. there's what 10 dsbers who actively play TW? and most only do cuz it's the only zone that's alive. c'mon TW sucks balls lol.

I bet we'd get more players on Sunday than Friday/Saturday even with some in TW because of all the North Americans(and some Euros) that can't do Sat/Fri. Almost everyone is free Sunday.

I know this past weekend I would've missed both days. Sunday I was free.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

There are surprisingly many TW players who may consider playing DSB if they see anything going on over there. I agree Sundays is best day to gather people but we have always lost and still lose to TW. Their leagues draw the most activest players that also play DSB and then players start disappearing like it's a chain reaction. Witnessed this during our 20th anniversary celebrations as well. Once TW league started on Sunday 17th, our players slowly started moving there around 3pm EST. Perhaps this is linked to all players being friends (heh heh) and when one leaves, they follow or log off? Could be also linked to competitive gaming, while we're reliving our memories here and sparring once a month.

wo

Post by wo »

there should be a discussion thread for each upcoming gaming weekend where ppl can confirm whether they are showing or not. kind of like how squads used to do for league. we'll probably get many more to show if its certain ppl will be there and 12v12 is a sure thing.