Contacts

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Beer Hunter

Re: Contacts

Post by Beer Hunter »

I remember dreaming about Hoch closing DSB before he broke the news to me (DSB had a place in my heart back then). Very weird that the dream came true later on. Basically his justification for deciding to close DSB was that there would be nobody who could replace him as the head sysop and he wanted to move on to other things in his life (I may have the log somewhere unless it was on the computer that burned couple years ago). He had sort of big ego in that way I guess - there were so many people who COULD have ran DSB. Of course it was half true that there were also many candidates who were not fit for the duty although many people vouched for them. It takes more than a vision to lead a community and long days of hard work to actually make everything work. Ending on a high note is a good way to end something but basically at that point DSB still had players so it was not the right decision, however the aftermath and everything related to the notification of closing down DSB took it's toll.

Who knows what would have happened if this little episode did not happen. Would we still be alive and well or would the end result be the same. Who knows, the end is near for the whole game as the population keeps dropping each year and new players rarely stick around to play the game. We're still relying mostly on the old players in every zone that is still alive. There's no zone anymore that would have public running 24/7 with real players.

I know that DSB never moved on from that day that Hoch ordered the zone to be closed, it's still all the same. People pointing fingers at who to blame for this or that - old grudges and everything still very much alive. It shows about caring but it shows about the fact that even though there are possibilities to move forward with DSB, nobody hardly does that or helps to develop the zone. Many people say that they will save DSB if this or that happens, most of the times my name included in one of those if clauses. That's bullshit to be honest, I've not been actively in DSB for years now and nobody has done shit aside from the normal sitting there (sometimes playing or assisting players) and ensuring that the server is running.

I may be an optimist nowadays but with proper development of the zone and some activity with advertising the good old days to old players could bring back players to play occasionally. The problem is this needs a lot of free time and dedication from whoever decides to pick it up. It won't be pretty because people have their lives and everything nowadays, tireless efforts at Facebook or whatever would be required. Sometimes it pays off, you get 1 or 2 peeps to show up and if you're lucky you can even get a prac going on after some hours of waiting and trying. I am willing to support anybody who wants to help DSB - in any way I can. I may remember this or that, some small details from here and there.

I don't know, seems nice to escape my work for a moment to remember the past with this game. The good old days!

Ssseth

Re: Contacts

Post by Ssseth »

Some things are better left in the past. Nothing lasts forever.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein