Anyone still around here?

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Chase

Anyone still around here?

Post by Chase »

Hey guys! Im sure nobody will remember me from years and years ago (I played under the name Gangster_B), I was a nobody. But I recently downloaded and logged back into the game to find it on life support. Very sad. What happened over the years? Anything we can do to turn it around? I see Trench wars still has a good amount of people, anything we can take from them and bring here?

Few other questions,

Is there a time that people are playing? I normally login at or after 1am EST.

Can we free up inactive squad names?

Are there any squads recruiting?

Thanks and hopefully will see some other players around :)

Tembest

Re: Anyone still around here?

Post by Tembest »

Heya, check the Any oldies still playing thread.

The zone is somewhat dead. A dedicated group of volunteers could get it to function. Us, the people who are still "Staff" are beyond our prime and do not have the required time or interest for a comeback, but as Beer promises, we for sure won't stop anyone from trying, in contrast, offer all support required.

There have been numerous attempts. The best one was right after Steam approval, but that didn't really work out either. It took a month and people didn't return.

I don't think there is any way of freeing old squad or player names.

Chase

Post by Chase »

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you guys have stuck with it for so long. Other then the starting zone being different, it bought back a ton of nostalgia for me. I wish I could remember all the players who I saw on all the time, who killed me often, and who I wanted to be as good as some day. All the squads and the few matches I got to watch and one I even got to play in with hysteria. Really though, thanks!!

I would help out anyway I could to see this game get some life back.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

I'm up for games whenever I have the time to show up. Old squadnames or inactive squadnames are matter of the SSC billing staff. Usually very very old squadnames or playernames get freed after long time of inactivity. For squadnames it depends how many players in the squad etc on when it's freed up for grabs again.

As Tembest pointed out, if you wanna organise or ask players to come around during certain hours of the week, do so. You can use our Facebook group to ask for players to get together and play public or pracs, the FB group seems to be the largest somewhat active place that our old players still check as they are in Facebook.

For now all it takes is some iniative from somebody to arrange a group of players together to play, from there it can grow and grow, activity feeds activity and inactivity drives it away quickly. Its really simple, just start something and then start slowly growing from there. As our Steam effort back in July 2015 showed, there are players who can play and who will play for old times sake, they just need to be dragged back more often and that happens by offering them players to play with. Nobody wants to play or wait if they enter empty public - that's the biggest issue right now I think.

PS. Last day of holidays for me, tomorrow I'll be gone to do all sorts of interesting things again, will be around but with very limited activity.

PPS. I just flew around DSB for first time in months and encountered some player who played with me for a little bit, can't even describe how good it felt to play DSB again!

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

That steam revival, no matter how short lived was magical!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein