I checked out DSB through steam, my suggestion

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

morikahn

I checked out DSB through steam, my suggestion

Post by morikahn »

The bot has a reward system in place, but it tracks kill streaks.. which lends itself to the brawl atmosphere, not a competitive team game.

Remove streaks and replace it with a flags collected bonus. Players will get better ships if they flag.. so they WILL fight over flags.

Give a bonus for slower ships that collect flags:
  • Javelins, Leviathans, and Terriers get 1 point per flag collected.
  • Warbirds, Weasels, and Lancasters get 1.5 points per flag collected.
  • Spiders and Sharks get 2 points per flag collected.
Adjust these numbers as needed to balance it after its played for awhile.

Give multi shot only if a team wins the game.

predator

Re: I checked out DSB through steam, my suggestion

Post by predator »

another good minor suggestion which won't make or break it but worth a try.

If I knew how to do this... Whats the brogramming language on these bots?

morikahn

Post by morikahn »

C++

This isn't an issue of know-how.

It probably doesn't even matter. I saw a lot of old timers on subspace and not many new players. Seems like everyone did what I did: came back to see if Steam could save our beloved old zone.

The few noobs I did see didn't stand a chance. The flew into a poorly designed zone with confusing objectives no one cares about and fought 10+ year veterans that would kill them in seconds. I don't see how this was ever going to work.

predator

Post by predator »

What strikes me odd is that simple concepts were probably hardly ever tried.

Was there ever a sub arena for testing DSB with a new gameplay mode? A Public one for all to test it and give feedback. What happened? If it was lack of feedback I'd say things might be different now. You really didn't need to change the original pub to try new pubs. Hopely this isn't something that wasn't considered.

If one thing is clear, we didn't have hc pro game devvers in this zone. That's why the right approach to the steam launch would have been more of asking for help from steam game coding maniacs with ongoing degrees seeking to maybe write a project. How that would have been done, dunno. Maybe one of these reviewers in the other thread could have been filled with this info.