Thoughts about the cyber attack

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Magnum Size

Thoughts about the cyber attack

Post by Magnum Size »

I have been reading the forums especially from TW's site. From what I understand, there could have been 1 or several people who planned this attack on the SSCU network. The forums keep mentioning authorities are involved. This might extremely silly but if this person is caught will they have serious consequences like fines or even worse? In my 15 years in subspace, I don't ever recall this happening. The most serious incident I can remember was when Darkboris shutdown DSB Events. I can't remember the full details but I find it crazy that someone was able to pull this off. In my guess, it must a current or recent high up staff member.
I'm also extremely surprised that someone had the dedication to get this done. They must have had some serious motives.

Just wanted to share my thoughts,
Magnum Size

Ssseth

Re: Thoughts about the cyber attack

Post by Ssseth »

I don't know what they can do but it's a good question. Shitty all around.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Magnum Size wrote:I have been reading the forums especially from TW's site. From what I understand, there could have been 1 or several people who planned this attack on the SSCU network. The forums keep mentioning authorities are involved. This might extremely silly but if this person is caught will they have serious consequences like fines or even worse? In my 15 years in subspace, I don't ever recall this happening. The most serious incident I can remember was when Darkboris shutdown DSB Events. I can't remember the full details but I find it crazy that someone was able to pull this off. In my guess, it must a current or recent high up staff member.
I'm also extremely surprised that someone had the dedication to get this done. They must have had some serious motives.

Just wanted to share my thoughts,
Magnum Size
High Staff in one of the big zones? I don't think so. Authorities are inolved after filing a police report. Will this person or group ever face any consequences?
No, unless we find out who it was and sue the person. Authorities do not do anything unless a cyber attack damages the community.

Come on, Hoch was a lawyer, and even knew the person responsible for the DSB attack but could not get him legally responsible. Research suggest roughly
30,000 websites become infected every day. Anyhow, internet crime is like impossible to control.

Delic

Post by Delic »

I'm pretty sure this has happened before more than once? And you don't need any special inside info to pull it off.
The reason why this has been more noticeable than past attacks is because of the time it's been taking to get the zones back online.

I doubt anything will happen if the guy(?) is caught.

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

Anyone can rent a botnet to DDoS any server in the world for cash, you can never catch them since the botnet contains thousands of computers like your and mine, infected ones that connect to the server, when so many connect it crashes the server.

You cannot even ban them because frankly, banning thousands of IP address is bad for everyone.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

Basically the attack that took place was very huge. Which takes planning and organising - which suggests somebody has a serious grudge at this game. There has been small scale attacks before but this attack was/is considered one of the biggest ever on our servers. Basically it brought every server in the entire network down until they could not get back up anymore.

This attack also had some side effects on the server providers who host the game servers - yes it was that big - which means authorities could be involved in this case. After all the server providers are doing big bucks and their income or hardware might have been damanged because of these attacks.

Anyway there's a team and people who are doing work to catch the person(s) involved so lets let them do their work. Obviously there are a lot of rumours and stuff flying around but that always happens when something hits the fan. :|

Delic

Post by Delic »

oh. thx for the info bh.

I'm assuming the people involved with the investigation are the ones from the hosting company?
crazy how we get attacked like this when the game is basically already dead...

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

I'm not entirely sure how the investigation goes but my nose says that the server providers who we've used might have some sort of damage claims out of this. Obviously everybody are working together to catch the guy and doing everything they/we can.

Detector

Post by Detector »

Anyone can rent a botnet to DDoS any server in the world for cash, you can never catch them since the botnet contains thousands of computers like your and mine, infected ones that connect to the server, when so many connect it crashes the server.

You cannot even ban them because frankly, banning thousands of IP address is bad for everyone.
Agreed.

Havoc

Post by Havoc »

This game should be long past dead anyway... the DDOS attack might've done just that :S