Just Another Quitting Thread

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

jim the chin

Just Another Quitting Thread

Post by jim the chin »

Yea I know this is nothing new, and I probably wrote a quitting thread 5 years ago or something :oops: but it's time for me to pack this game in (or try to).

I've hardly played subspace at all in the past year, and when I do show up for a game (which I try to do most Sundays) I'm usually benched to my annoyance. When I finally got to play, I was stuck in upper south where I was shit enough to warrant being benched next time (go figure).

The point is, I'm completely out of practice and, more often than not, it shows on those rare occasions when I play. Like most dsbers I have a degree of pride, so it pisses me off when I'm rubbish and losing to people I've hardly ever lost to before. The league match on Sunday was the last straw. I couldn't even remember how to play the sector. I suppose it didn't help being stuck in upper south (thanks?), but hell, even after that I couldn't be bothered to practice all through this week. The last time I played that bad, I pracced until I got better, but I clearly haven't got the time or dedication for it this time. So if there was a next time, I'd be shitter still, and it would just annoy me even more (sorry, I have an ego :roll: ).

The game needs to be fun but I'm coming away pissed off, so it's time to quit. I don't see it as a knee-jerk reaction... I've had 5 days to think on it and it's been coming for longer than that. Thanks to Bran Man, Snake_eye, Hece, and many others for some good times.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Ssseth

Re: Just Another Quitting Thread

Post by Ssseth »

Sorry to hear. There aren't many players left. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Sad to see you go. At leat stick to the forums, will you? ;)

Delic

Post by Delic »

cya Jimbo. if I ever revive dsb or 17th I'll let you know ok?
don't know how I'll notify you, but I will. maybe with a pidgeon.

so if u ever see a pidgeon in your life, please shoot it down and look for a small note, because knowing myself, I'll probably get a retarded pidgeon and not a trained one.
ok thanks. ur one of my 17th heroes because of your skills in Jav and your legendary work for 17th with JWL and the most popular pub map in its history.

take care.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Delic wrote:cya Jimbo. if I ever revive dsb or 17th I'll let you know ok?
don't know how I'll notify you, but I will. maybe with a pidgeon.

so if u ever see a pidgeon in your life, please shoot it down and look for a small note, because knowing myself, I'll probably get a retarded pidgeon and not a trained one.
ok thanks. ur one of my 17th heroes because of your skills in Jav and your legendary work for 17th with JWL and the most popular pub map in its history.

take care.
:lol:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Thanks ssseth. Well, if they did something cool with pub, I believe the zone could recover. It's all talk and bluster though. Projects are left half finished, others commit to something and then don't do it... or they complain that they didn't get enough help. Nothing actually gets done, but if pub was improved and the zone recovered it might be fun to come back. I keep trying to tell people that running leagues and pracs won't grow the zone. The number of people will gradually whittle down to zero.

Thanks Temb, I don't know if I'll stay on the forums. There's not much here to talk about anyway. I don't want to end up like Detector lol.

Lol Delic, thanks. I think that says it all. The best times were years ago in 17th Parallel. I'll maybe drop by on the forums occasionally, so I'll get messages eventually.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Typical, I know you gave some lame excuse about sucking as your reason for quitting. But face it the zone is dead, this league was the last chance to revive the zone as DSB seemed slightly active this fall. The time passed and the zone is back to being dead and likely won't revive next fall. I tried to get everyone moving on this last chance to revive the zone but Argyle was too slow. And Ent had to come back and give everyone false hope like predicted when he knows he doesn't care and is too inactive/busy irl to do anything. Bottom line is my efforts added some life and spark into the zone and forums and you guys are suffering from withdrawal now that I am gone. All your problems would never have happened if I was your squad captain, because I'd always put you in the sector you like, and likely team up with you to help carry. Possibly force you to duel me before every league match so your killing ability would be sharper. At any rate if me or Delic ever got a chance to fix DSB it would be a lot better off than it is now, and I'd e-mail you to come back. I was wondering why you were sucking though. You are like three times better than some of the people you were losing to in that practice.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Let's be honest everyone. It's probably for the best if things fade out sooner rather than later. It's like watching an old friend die slowly of cancer. We know it's coming and it's painful to watch.

Delic

Post by Delic »

im still hopeful, and others too to a certain degree. it's just that certain things have to happen.
once the stars align I don't think the revival process would be tooooo complicated ^_^

As long as the servers stay up, there's a chance ^_^

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Yep, there's always a chance DSB could be saved. If I become a millionaire in the next few years, I promise to pay people to fix this ol' place up. :mrgreen:

Leagues and pracs are like morphine for this zone - easing the pain of death, but doing nothing to cure the ailment. Fix pub, get the vets playing in there, and you can grow the zone.

Falc, I dunno. Ent came back; he did some useful stuff with the prac bot, but I still saw a number of problems with it before I left. For example, the changename function didn't appear to work and the old ratings were still showing, even though everyone had asked for them to be wiped clean. You're right that dsb had a brief moment of daily pracs for a few hours per day. That was a few months ago. Now it seems to have died again. Yea, my cap was a bit annoying... never teamed me with Bran (my best partner), seemed to think I was only an east player, benched me when I showed up raring to go. I don't care much about that though. I sucked because I've played maybe 10 pracs in the past year, but that lack of ambition for DSB was just another reason to call it a day.