Website and Forums

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Entr0py

Re: Website and Forums

Post by Entr0py »

Temb has full access - he can do everything that I can do. All styles/themes that came with the board by default, are installed. If we want new styles, we will need to install them in the way described by this link: https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/how-to ... on-phpbb3/

If you have one in mind, send it to me (entropy@deathstarbattle.com), as I will need to ftp it to the boards. I will also get with temb and show him how to do that (once I figure out how), so he can do that as well.

As for the website itself, anyone is free to do dev work for it. I have the source code and will gladly provide it to anyone who wants to work on the website (anyone except falconeer, that is).

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Why's that? You don't get to make demands, Mr. Disappear 8 months, and only become interested in DSB again when I come back. Maybe you shouldn't have 1 year banned me in the first place if your only interested in this zone when I'm around. You should be resigning, unless you plan to be active everyday then gtfo.

Go read my Nelson Mandela thread, maybe you'll learn something.

I'll just make a new and better website If I can't edit your code. And pretty sure when I'm done in 6 months, your website will receive zero updates, and you'll be inactive again. You couldn't even update league winners list. Nevermind the interface or graphics. Or you could just let me work on your site, so we can not waste time since most of it is done and all it needs is some polishing. You know that phrase, called working together? Heard of it?

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

Simple answer: I don't trust you. Nor do I trust whoever this person is that you know that you might be able to convince to create a site. By all means, go ahead and create your own somewhere else. But I'm not giving you the keys to delete 4 years of prac stats from the database.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Go learn what trust is =/

Trust isn't I can't trust you because I might be betrayed. TRUST IS what you give despite their being a chance of being betrayed. Giving your trust means you don't actually know if you can trust someone. It's not 100% fool proof. If it was then it's not trust! In this case that chance of betrayal is purely fictional and in your minds. God damn please read some philosophy or something. What some Star Trek TNG for a crash course on Humanity.

So to re-iterate, you need a reason not to trust me. Simply put you are paranoid. You have no reason not to trust me? You lack trust because I'm a bit harsh with words? Come on, you know where I stand. The people you can't trust are the one's who will decieve you, kiss your ass, and backstab you when you least expect. Didn't you ever hear the quote from Caesar, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." I could have crashed the server a hundred times using my ?Arenas that you gifted me for developing maps. I've had arenas under Hoch, Snake, and yourself. After countless bans that I felt were unjust did anything ever happen? Zone ever crashed? No because the arenas are for development, not for my personal vendettas which don't even exist. What? Do you think I'm 5 years old and would retaliate over a 1 year ban? I am not vengeful.

Plus really after trying to prove you are all retarded, why would I blow it by proving you guys right and destroying something like a useless website, or a useless zone. It's not even worth the effort of sabotaging. It's worth fixing. If I did anything bad, you'd actually have a real reason for once to ban me besides my typing. And I'd be proven wrong indefinitely. You could always "set" me up by giving me access, and then crashing the website yourself and blaming me. But that's up to you if you want to be a jerk. I just want to help.

At any rate If I'm going to use my own program to develop the website, then why would giving me source code require giving me full blown access to the website? You can just give me the code, and I can input into one of the programs I'm using.

Secondly. The person who can make us a website, is from another game. Unrelated to subspace, and has nothing to do with me. What the hell is your problem. You think I cloned him and brainwashed him to destroy DSB? You guys will get shit done if you keep treating people this way and being afraid. This guy is a good guy, runs his own game/community. As you can see, http://www.uoorigins.com/. Maybe you should talk to people you dont know before branding them with your prejudice and discrimination.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Watch*

P.S Back up the database?

P.S.S Maybe if you stop treating me like a criminal, and gave me some responsibility and trust I'd be apart of the community, and return your kindness with interest. Look how Tm_master runs his zone. No one ever gets banned there. If people ask for mod powers to do something, he gives it to them. Pretty much the only sane zone owner.

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

Trust goes both ways, and has to be earned. I have given you the benefit of the doubt many times in the past, and every time, you betrayed my trust. I will not make that mistake again. If you can think of a way to prove to me that you're sincere, I might reconsider. Just know that you have a large hill to climb.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

I didn't betray anything. You need to stop being vague. Just because I said your practice bot sucks, or you haven't fixed pub in 2 years, or NKZ in pub is a bad idea, or move to ASSS 100 times, doesn't mean I betrayed trust. You need a feasible example. You can't think of anything other than me being opinionated. Respect is earned. Trust is, I suppose is a treasure, that people give you and you should cherish it when they do. The whole reason you became sysop was because you said you could code, and would actively make changes in DSB that people wanted to see. After you made the practice bot, you basically disappeared from the zone. You took forever to get Babl going, the website is unfinished, you jerked around with practice in pub because the ALT screen wasn't pretty enough for you. Rofl. Practice bot needed some updates that never happened. You know the more snake reads the B.S on here, the less he wants to come back. DSB is lost cause to a lot of people. And that image has nothing to do with me. I mean I was banned a year and the zone died even more and you even went more inactive. You guys aren't doing the right thing when it comes to inspiring and running a dev team or You'd have 10 Devvers, and wouldn't be the only poor bastard having to do everything around here and burning out. IF anyone wants to work on the website besides falc. I wish you had takers for that proposition.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

It's not stupid to be safe. When I gave Falconeer access to edit the styles I backed up the styles and forums to my harddrive. I would
do this even before starting to work on it myself. I don't want anything to disappear on purpose or by accident.
What I'm saying is, is there perhaps a way to back up the full website code?
Or simply providing him with the source? He could start working on it elsewhere, then we just copy the code to dsb.com?

I don't know how this stuff really works, but I would assume there is an easy way to allow him to help that would not compromise
anything. At this stage we should not completely turn down help.

the_real_the_snake

Post by the_real_the_snake »

Entr0py wrote:Simple answer: I don't trust you. Nor do I trust whoever this person is that you know that you might be able to convince to create a site. By all means, go ahead and create your own somewhere else. But I'm not giving you the keys to delete 4 years of prac stats from the database.
No one cares about these stats as you do nothing with it. but it even displays wrong ratings in the prac arenas unless you fixed that? and then still, theres nothing to do with those stats, they just sit there gathering dust like a lot of thing in DSB.
Also, 4 years of stats means that you are like 3 years and 6 months late in reseting them for people to actually have purpose considering their rating and maybe creating a matchup system :/

The point of gathering statistics, is to actually do things with them other displaying on a website or storing them in a dusty database. its like half a job done. :/

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

the_real_the_snake wrote:
Entr0py wrote:Simple answer: I don't trust you. Nor do I trust whoever this person is that you know that you might be able to convince to create a site. By all means, go ahead and create your own somewhere else. But I'm not giving you the keys to delete 4 years of prac stats from the database.
No one cares about these stats as you do nothing with it. but it even displays wrong ratings in the prac arenas unless you fixed that? and then still, theres nothing to do with those stats, they just sit there gathering dust like a lot of thing in DSB.
Also, 4 years of stats means that you are like 3 years and 6 months late in reseting them for people to actually have purpose considering their rating and maybe creating a matchup system :/

The point of gathering statistics, is to actually do things with them other displaying on a website or storing them in a dusty database. its like half a job done. :/
I couldn't agree more. They need to be reset, but currently they're not even in the correct order. Just do /!top10 to the bot. The order never changes, even though some people have gotten much higher winR than people above them.

1. Fix the order when you do /!top10 or /!rank please.
2. Why are there two sets of stats given when you do /!stats <name> or /!rank <name>. Is one of these for some kind of obsolete sector league while the other is "lifetime performance"? Please just display one set of stats/rank.
3. Reset all the stats now, but keep updating the lifetime stats and display them on the website on a sub-page that isn't the main page. Don't display them on the bot.
4. Declare the winner of the first prac league to be `vanish' or whoever currently tops the leaderboard. Put this on the website, the top left of the arena, and list it on the bot for people who type !winners. Then, start a new prac league.
5. Reset the stats and declare a winner every 6 months. If you can't do this, give someone else the power to. All it takes is one reset command and one announcement every 6 months. Otherwise, the league should be able to run itself.

Would it really take that much work to do all this? Like snake said, it seems to be half done atm.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.