Website and Forums

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

jim the chin

Re: Website and Forums

Post by jim the chin »

Tembest wrote:1. Do not allow smurfs to play in the rated pracs. Register one nick per ID/IP.
... though I am concerned that you said "rated pracs". All pracs should be rated, otherwise you'll get half the population wanting to "pussy out", and the league won't be a success. However, you can still allow the pussies what they want by giving them the choice to say !norating to the bot so that they (alone) aren't rated.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

jim the chin wrote:
Tembest wrote:1. Do not allow smurfs to play in the rated pracs. Register one nick per ID/IP.
... though I am concerned that you said "rated pracs". All pracs should be rated, otherwise you'll get half the population wanting to "pussy out", and the league won't be a success. However, you can still allow the pussies what they want by giving them the choice to say !norating to the bot so that they (alone) aren't rated.
Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Either all pracs rated or no pracs rated.

If you want it to be a league, then !norating should not be allowed. Punish for prac leaving. Something like -20 points and include
"pracs left" in the statistics. Allow people only one nick per ID/IP and make them !register.

Additionally you can in a different arena have pracs that are not rated, anyone can play, can prac leave or anything.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Tembest wrote:
jim the chin wrote:
Sorry, I thought it was obvious. Either all pracs rated or no pracs rated.

If you want it to be a league, then !norating should not be allowed. Punish for prac leaving. Something like -20 points and include
"pracs left" in the statistics. Allow people only one nick per ID/IP and make them !register.

Additionally you can in a different arena have pracs that are not rated, anyone can play, can prac leave or anything.
Well, !norating could allow people to sabotage their rivals by playing terribly. It would probably increase activity though because, sometimes, people will be wary of playing against a stacked team. The bot doesn't always compensate for stacking (though it does to some extent). Also, some people will genuinely be having a bad day skills-wise, and won't want their terrible games affecting their rating. They might just leave instead of playing.

So I think !norating is needed for individual players to use, but if someone is caught throwing a prac, they should have their score penalized severely by a mod. Alternatively, if Ent wants to do the work, he could write some code to protect team-mates from someone who is playing much much worse than they normally do (i.e. on purpose), by comparing past and current performances. Either way, we should have !norating for individual players to use.

Also, when people are punished for prac leaving, are the other people on the team compensated? They should get extra points that are proportional to how long they have to play 2v3 (or 3v4).

I agree with a pracs-left stat, one nick per ID, and a register.

Delic

Post by Delic »

Fly Swatter wrote:Upper staff just means you been around awhile and trust worthy. Doing is more the point, if you guys want to do something i'd be inclined to assist.
I feel like I've contributed a lot through the years. For me, the problem in the past
has been that any idea that I've tried to bring into fruition has either been taken
over by upper staff or an agreement couldn't be met for the required modifications
as I felt they would've been too compromising for the original concept. That's the only
reason I would prefer to be a part of upper staff with people who think alike.
If I could make a league properly (which in my opinion means making a successful
event first and making proper preparations) without having to worry about upper
staff getting all in my business, then I wouldn't care about upper staff as much ;D
Please don't get the impression that I'm unwilling to compromise anything at all though,
because I've done it so that's not the case. But when assumptions are made and
important characteristics that define your projects have to be scrapped, that's when
I see where things are going and would rather pull out, since whoever is in charge
will do whatever they want to do anyways, whether I think it's needed for the project
or not. And you don't need me for that, so why stay? Why bother at all?

Then we have the issue with pub, which is another thing holding me back.
Being allowed to coordinate a league is relatively realistic I guess, but I'd still have
pub in the back of my mind, fearing that even a good league would be in vain without
a sustainable pub to benefit from any advertisement for the zone.

Being part of upper staff would remove the fear of you people who've been "around for
a while and trust worthy" ;P And for the record, I've been around since 2001. More
actively in DSB since 2002. I've been given access that require taking and showing
responsibility more than once. Actually I still do, now that I think about it.
the_snake's record speaks for itself, and sever's might be more unknown, but not to me.

As for contributions, as mentioned I've done that plenty, including the introduction of
a revival plan which took everything into consideration and not just separate projects
for each aspect of the zone. For a serious revival to be successful, there should be a
single plan for all aspects of the zone rather than working on projects separately. They
need to be designed to fit one another for that smooth mojo flow to be possible.
This is basic stuff that I'm sure you're probably aware of. For example, you should be
able to take what you've learned from pub gameplay or an event's gameplay and apply it
in more competitive gameplays. That's how a newbies are developed and conditioned for
leagues = competition = entertainment = fun = more people, etc. It's a more long-term
approach that I think makes the necessary addresses of factors making up the dynamics
of zone development of a zone in the state that DSB is in.

I think what type of leagues are chosen matters a lot too. For example, DSB will always
have people willing to check stuff out because it's a classic SS zone. At our peak we had
more players than EG, second only to TW. So thanks to our legacy we'll always have an
advantage that not all zones have. To take full advantage of that in terms of league
coordination, I don't think any initial league that is part of a realistic revival initiative should
support more than 3 players in-game per team, maybe even 2.
That would not just to be easier to coordinate, but it'd also give us a chance to present
something new in the world of league competition.

I know it's all easier said than done. But that's just my view on it based on past
experience. I don't know if the conditions are the same within staff though.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

If it's a random ladder that nobody cares about !norating could be allowed, but if it's an actual league !norating should be disabled.
A squad doesn't have the right to say in a league match: "This time we wouldn't want this to count." A player should not have the
chance either. You can go to some prac arena or pub if you don't want to play the league. The players who !norating will just ruin the
game for others. If they want to try something new, they will, like flying a shark, and the team will suffer.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Tembest don't use me for shitty examples. I don't sit in tubes. I'm a very aggressive player. I dislike flagging east tube actually. That's why I'm better suited to LN, South, or West. Unless my east team is aggressive and can trust me, we won't win. Most east teams are pussys who wall hide, and can't trust me enough to fight 2 vs 2 with me. They feel they will lose a 2 vs 2 and they run away or do something stupid. Too bad. That being said I did that tactic in 181st Tie for West. I told my team to hold tube. They had 3 people holding tube. And guess what? They couldn't hold it. If you can hold 8 flags all practice and get 8 bell flags a ding. That is skill, and you deserve the points. But it's harder than you think, especially with a whole other team working against you. Also keep in mind the other team gets 12 bell flags. Again bell flags aren't the only ways to get points. Again I ask Entropy. How is POWR Calculated? This discussion is useless until the master of secrets and lack of transparency decides to speak. Fucking zone.

Delic just remember, Pub has it's own unique characteristics. Such as freedom of movement, ability to be lame, among other things. If you turn pub into league then it's not all entirely a good thing. Part of the attraction of league when I was a new player in 2002, was that it was a whole a different area of game play. After I played pub for four years, I could look forward to new things in the zone to explore. Such as squads, league, practices. Pub and league being different was not a bad thing. Now I'm not saying make them entirely different. Just dont make them entirely the same. I don't want to pub league, and then league league. This is too much league for me and it becomes stupid.

If you want !norating play pub. Practices should be rated.

P.S I feel the same as delic, none want upper staff for power reasons. We need it for access to get things done at the speed we are comfortable working at. IE right away. We need it so you guys stop screwing around, delaying things, bureaucracy up the ass, road blocks at every turn, inability to manage or recruit a development team, lack of transparency, the list of problems is endless.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

@ Delic

There is no reason whats-so-ever that we couldn't schelde another league in. We have the reg league and babl thats it, and they aren't all that successfully. That leaves alot of possible downtime between. Im sure that the current staff would help out in whatever way they could, but no they wont dictate anything, just the schelde needs decided. You could even run pub the way that supports the league ur running also.

But the issue i see is who will develop this? I already talked to snake he has time for dsb but only if we move to asss. I offered possible full access, or i offered to check the possibility for him getting that back, but he dont want it.

We could start laying down ground work to move to asss aswell, but most of the work needs to be front loaded before moving to the next step.

Its comes down to the people that can develop, that is what the key issue is here @ dsb : P

-Fly

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Well, we're hoping that Ent will fix the prac bot and reset the stats so that we can have an individual prac league running in the background the whole time with winners declared at 6 month intervals. That would boost population quite a bit.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

What a fucking joke. Still hoping for ent to save you. That's why this zone is shit. Retards waiting 8 months for Ent to magically appear and save them. The only reason Ent is here is because I started bringing the heat and some pressure. Which set some things in motion, which in turn forced him to re-appear to some extent. But if he wasn't going to come back on his own, don't expect him to stay long or to fix much of anything. I'd love him to stay and care about the zone, and devote free time to it. But the facts are he likely doesn't have that free time, and doesn't care enough anymore anyway. He needs to stop holding on to memories, and give access to whoever is left and we need to get this show on the road. This constant delay helps nobody. More to the point, we need more people given access, so we can decentralize the power, and have more work getting done on all fronts. He can always stay in charge, or go afk 2 years and come back as head sysop still. None of that matters to me. Not here to overthrow people. We don't care about your online jobs. What matters is what we do while he is gone. He didn't come back to slave away, he likely appeared to figure out how to disappear and leave the zone in good hands.

You guys sound like nuns, praying and hoping for code to appear. That's all Beer did. I guess prayer is all we can do when people keep all the access to themselves and disappear.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

You have some real issues falc, i sure hope that its intentional cause if thats the way you really are then...