The Future of DSB

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

falconeer

The Future of DSB

Post by falconeer »

On another note I am making a new deathstar map. It is truly an EPIC map, and takes up the whole arena. Which means in a 50 player zone, you could have multiple battles across the whole deathstar. And it would take two rockets to fly across. It is currently over 40,000 tiles. This means there will be no outside combat or breaking in. All the action takes place inside. There will be about twelve objectives that players have to complete inside the deathstar.

Disable the Main Gun (Time limit) Before Endor is Destroyed. *Losing this objective gives the empire a bonus to combat ability
3 ways to complete this objective
1. Destroy the Super laser Power cell
2. Destroy the Central Computer core
3. Destroy the Targeting Sensors

Open Doorways Blocking Path to Guns and Deathstar Core
All must be done, Any order
1. Take over the Main power Generator
2. Override Secondary Power Converters
3. Disable Power Cell
4. Destroy Sector Computer Cluster
5. Disable Ion Drive reactor

Blow up the Deathstar
Must be done in order
1. Destroy the Water Tanks
2. Destroy the Cooling System
3. Destroy the Reactor

Considering the scale of the project it will take me 3 months to map, if I remain on target. I will include a new tile set for the deathstar, map all 40,000 tiles, and also add a tremendous amount of LVZs.

Fly Swatter

Re: The Future of DSB

Post by Fly Swatter »

I've been contemplating banning myself for a week or two, then un-installing. But, maybe i'll stick around.

Google: Isometric / Perspective - drawing art etc.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Some corrections, the map is 220,000 tiles. And it takes 4 rockets to fly across. I'll get an exact number when It's done.

It's also 1009k (30 second download)

However when I ?setlevel in my arena I get the error message: File has arrived, but is too big (size limit of 512k)

I assumed it was a restriction based on the level of access I have to the zone and to upload files. So I got tm_master the sysop of SSCX Devastation to upload the map for me in his zone. It worked.

However when we entered the arena he uploaded the map into, the client crashes and we receive a window saying "File Write Error". When I checked the zone folder for the map. I found the map "DSBfinale.lvl" but it was at 0KB. So for whatever reason the map isn't being downloaded even though in game it downloads to 100% and then the client crashes.

This was solved by putting the map manually into the zone folder. The map loads without a problem after that, and there is no download.

Fly if you could help me fix this problem it would be appreciated. First the upload limit, and secondly finding a way to enable people to download a map of that size (1mb). They both must be due to settings in the server cfg file or something.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

There is a 1,000,000 byte limit (976KB) when Continuum is writing lvl files.

Same rule applies on ASSS.

Keep in mind that lvz aren't included in this, but regions are.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Why was tm_master able to upload the map then?

Detector

Post by Detector »

Your new death star is a joke. Keep making em jokes, you wont have use of. I know you want to help DSB, but this couldn't be the solution imo.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

The problem is with the client not being able to download and write it to the players zone folder. If there is another way to get the map.lvl to the players zone folder, then it will work just fine.

-Fly

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Emo kid who deletes me from steam don't lecture me about DSB failure, I am the god of trolling DSB. You are just the aftermath.

All my maps are epic, and I never said they were solutions. I'm mapping this because It's fun. I really don't care if it stays on DCME.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

So anyway, I finally finished the preliminary tiling which was 135,477 tiles. Which took me one week. About 2-4 hours a day.

Now to start the main tiling process. There are 139,962 main tiles. This should take me lesser time because I can vertical most of the tiles, and then manually add in the corners and horizontal tiles, which are less.

After the main tiling process, will be detailed tile editing. Which will involve all 275,429 tiles, and will likely take 3 weeks, since it will involve photoshop editing of tiles, creating new tiles, and customizing tiles to fit the map. Detailed tile editing involves making sure there is a variety of tiles across the whole map. Including blue light tiles, red light tiles, different wall tiles, and so on.

AFTER THIS, I can focus on the mapping. Determining doors, Creating LVZs, and so on. This will take about a week.

From here I have two options. Use LVZs to lower the tile count and allow the map to be uploaded. Or Resize the deathstar and make it 10% smaller. LVZs take time and need to fit properly. Resizing is a bit bothersome because it creates errors on the map which need to be manually fixed. Which means another 2 weeks of editing 275,439 tiles.

Currently the map is 1220KB. Which unfortunately means I need a 20% Shrink. Seems my only option is to reduce size by using LVZs.

Detector

Post by Detector »

Emo kid who deletes me from steam don't lecture me about DSB failure, I am the god of trolling DSB. You are just the aftermath.

All my maps are epic, and I never said they were solutions. I'm mapping this because It's fun. I really don't care if it stays on DCME.
Yes. You are a troll and I hope you get full access to DSB website and become owner of DSB zone, so you finally can fuck things up for good. That seems to be the direction where DSB is heading anyway.

?squadowner deathtodsb

Owner is Falconeer