Next Head Sysop (Vote)

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop?

Beer Hunter
36%
Fly Swatter
20%
Delic
8%
Eridu
4%
Falconeer
24%
No change (Keep Liito and Entropy)
4%
Find someone else
4%

Total votes: 25

falconeer

Next Head Sysop (Vote)

Post by falconeer »

In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop? This means coding, development, website, forums, zone policies, and being ACTIVE.

Coding
Someone who can transfer the zone over to ASSS would be a bonus. Someone who can fix the practice bots, and code other bots that are needed in the zone.

Website
The website needs an overhaul, both functionally and graphically, and we also need a league website.

Development
This person is the best chance to get a development team going. It has to be someone other people are willing to work with. DSB used to be the golden standard in all of subspace for a Dev team. We had over 30 developers when Chy was around. From coders, to graphic designers to map makers.

Forums
Kind of self explanatory. It's been 13 years, let's get DSB a nice forum environment for once.

Zone policy
Do you want someone who bans everyone for every little thing, or someone who is tolerant and more understanding with the player community? Should the person in charge focus on policing people or developing for them?

ACTIVITY
A very important requirement, that I think everyone on this poll meets. Keep in mind activity also means playing the game and not just sitting in spec all the time.

*If you want someone not on this list, post their name, and give a reason why.

falconeer

Re: Next Head Sysop (Vote)

Post by falconeer »

Mostly all I want is someone in charge who will let me dev, and not ban me for dumb things.

I have a number of projects lined up for DSB.
I've been wanting to revamp our main website. Graphically I'm very good with Photoshop and can do almost anything. I've been wanting to improve the quality of DSB forums. I know PHP and CSS, and I can work well with Photoshop. The problem is nobody has access to these forums, so I can't get in there and add more customized dark and white themed templates that the users can choose from. I already made an example forum using a service that's not as good, and if given access I could achieve something even better here. http://deathstarbattle.heavenforum.org/

I have a new pub map under works. It took about 30 versions to get to this stage, and I still want to make it larger and improve East and North a bit. Beyond the new pub map, I have a practice in pub map containing the classic deathstar and classic sectors. The classic pub map skillfully has 3 different tile sets in it while maintaining little to no changes to the dsb-tileset and deathstar. I want to get practices going in pub, so we can have more of a population, and possibly a pub game in pub while people are waiting to start a practice.

I am making a new and improved DSB tile set. Respecting what was done before, and only improving on it. The tile set will be awesome and give dsb a more modern feel potentially attracting new players. I also know many coders for ASSS, who would be willing to code for DSB. I already have someone on the side willing to make DSB a new league website.

All this aside getting people into dying projects is what I've always been good at. If you know anything about me, I ran Talon Claw, Tyranize, 181st Tie, and we always had show ups to our games over the big league squads sometimes. Like Delic, I can get people from other locations on the internet and into DSB. I've done this before on Ultima Online, bringing a shard called Rebirth from 5 players to 300 players in just 1 year.

The Problem
I can't do any of these things because of lack of access to the zone (banned), lack of access to a dev arena, because staff lacks access themselves, or because of thick headed staff who are preventing me from contributing.

My vote went to Fly Swatter, because I am confident he's more concerned with developing a zone than policing it. And he would allow me some freedom to contribute. Alternatively I put myself as an option, because I would equally be free to dev for the zone that way without being banned for a "Your mom joke."

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Guys if you vote, a nice tidbit about why you chose who you chose would be good for credibility. Also you can leave your second option in your post.

My First Option is Fly.
Second Option is a co-sysop between Beer and Fly.
Third option is myself. (And not for lack of confidence) But If fly is in charge we can pretty much get everything done. And I am more of a team player, we need fly anyway.

Sulla

Post by Sulla »

falc for preZ :)

the_real_the_snake

Post by the_real_the_snake »

I chose delic, because I will come back to work with him :roll:

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

I love the spirit. The fact though that a currently and frequently banned person can make a thread like this and be in the running says as least something about the current state of affairs one way or another...

PS - there is nothing wrong with the forums except a lack of activity!...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I cannot really agree at the current state of DSB. In my opinion, when the population is as low as it can get, we should listen to
everyone and let people get more involved. Sure, this poll would have deserved to be deleted in 2004 when we had 1000 active players,
but now it's 2013 and every person left is important.

I tend to disagree with Falc on almost anything. It is however his continuous complaining that often drives us to reconsider something
that used to be obvious for us. My point being, even though I have likely never agreed 100 % with any of his statements, those have
often opened my eyes one way or another, or at minimum made me re-evaluate some of the choices made.

It would be a pity if a zone with 50 players would not at least try to listen to every douche there is left.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Something I wrote in reference to myself, "Despite all my faults I am pretty much the only agent of change in this zone.. I get things going, either through controversy, conflict, confrontation, or diplomacy, every aspect has it's time and place."

You can check the last time Liito and Entropy posted here it was sometime in May or April. 'We' as a community, need access to the zone and website to really start making changes, and until we get a new sysop nothing gets a chance to even go forward. No one blames these guys for being busy, and we all respect that real life comes first, be it school or work or family. The only mistake is not passing on the torch so that others can take up where you left off. I've no doubt Ent and Liito are nice guys, and as it's always been with veteran staff, they can come back and retake their positions. And if not a spot will always be reserved for them on DSB Staff. But lets move on, and get this show on the road. The more we hesitate, the longer we postpone, the longer it takes to achieve even the smallest things, the more the zone will suffer. We as a community, should act now while we still have some players before this league ends.

If anything I'm glad I exist as a motivating force, even as an enemy, whatever it takes to get people to do something.

GKUA

Post by GKUA »

Ssseth wrote:I love the spirit. The fact though that a currently and frequently banned person can make a thread like this and be in the running says as least something about the current state of affairs one way or another...
In a positive way, no?. Perhaps it says that some of the people have matured and realized this banned person's input could be useful?

I hope DSB will find some way to grow again and applaud any initiative that might help in that regard. That said, i highly doubt different tilesets, changes to east/north, a new forum etc, should be the main priorities. I don't think people are exactly going to be rushing to DSB because of new graphics/website, some occasionally hosted event, or a slightly different map. That stuff should be done, but the ppl should be here first.

As to the topic at hand: there should definitely be a change, but I'm not sure about my vote yet.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

I could have requested the position long ago, but it only causes more issues, it solves nothing. As for others that want to develop this zone, i've always been open to that and all that comes with it (The drama is welcomed and appreciated by me). Also, I have or can obtain necessary access to make any change aside from transfer of ownership.

Delic, the_snake (if its the_real_snake), you only need me to upload. In the void following this or any other future league, you could run the show, host your own pub, host your own league to go with it. So, plz spare us all with the give us the zone and we will fix it stuff. Fix it, win over the support of the players and you wont need anyones blessing.

As for the current state of dsb, the staff (the current staff) dose need to talk over some hosting related issues with the current host and we will or i will.

Also, there is a pub project taking shape that should be somewhat interesting to most dsb'ers, its to early to do a full write up on it, and the project needs a mapper and graphic designer.

-Fly

Close this thread? nah, but the title "head sysop" will change very little if given to me.