Next Head Sysop (Vote)

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop?

Beer Hunter
36%
Fly Swatter
20%
Delic
8%
Eridu
4%
Falconeer
24%
No change (Keep Liito and Entropy)
4%
Find someone else
4%

Total votes: 25

Tembest

Re: Next Head Sysop (Vote)

Post by Tembest »

hello wrote:For example, when I told him kills were being awarded 150 points in pracs, he brushed it off like it's no problem and working as intended. To this day it hasn't changed. Anyone who has been playing for a decent amount of time would know how serious of a problem that is and would address it ASAP. Full east ding worth 4 kills? Thats so far out of whack it's not even funny.
Oh yea, this..

I was away for a while hence I forgot the topic. If you cannot remember, I already changed the kill value to 80 and it was so for half a
year or so, until someone went and changed it back to 150. Who knows why?
Since we have gone through all this in one thread already I won't start explaining why other than 150p kills were set for 6vs6 league.

I can change it in a heartbeat if it gets enough support as I did last time. I just don't want to step on Eridu's toes without any support
to the change.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

falconeer wrote:Your problem is you assume shit without asking any questions, or knowing me at all.
I thought I clearly stated that's exactly what I'm doing.
Tembest wrote:Oh and before I do... I don't give a crap about your reply, so don't bother defending yourself. This only represents my view based on my own history with these people.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Beer Hunter wrote:Basically I am very reluctant to take part in public popularity contests, mainly because it is a show off for great speakers whose acts might not be on the same level as their speeches are. There are many of those in history who've spoken well to lure people into believing that this or that thing is the right thing to do, then with those speeches they've lead massive and devastating plans which have lead to great destruction.
Unfortunately for you (considering you just said it yourself), when it comes to leadership, that is exactly what is required: an extrovert
who can motivate people by words, a person who can communicate in a way the message will not get lost on the way, a person who
speaks well and justifies his opinions.

Anyhow, let me just emphasise the contents of my earlier post a little.

Whoever leads DSB should not be a coder, a graphics designer or anyone who could make drastic changes to DSB if they simply
chose so. The person must have long experience in DSB and definitely league. The person should not ever consider his own
opinion more valuable than his colleagues' opinions. The person should all under circumstances be able to remain objective.
Last and most importantly, DSB needs a true leader and the characteristics of a leader should be obvious to anyone applying for the
position. Sadly, I am afraid they are not, and thus, I cannot give my vote to anyone mentioned in this thread.

Starpo

Post by Starpo »

If I weren't already inactive, I'd go inactive if Falconeer gets in charge. This is just retarded. :lol:

the_real_the_snake

Post by the_real_the_snake »

I'm gonna write a serious post for a change, but let me start by saying this:
Starpu, your posts are really retarded and do not contribute to this topic.

Falconeer is great but not easy to work with. He can think of good ideas, implement the map and get people trying them. Obviously if he had coding skills he would have been an ideal developer. His down side that he can get a bit agitated when talking down upon, or when he talks with online retards or robots that dsb is known for, and then he goes crazy/emo. Though I'm a bit sure that affect has been reduced throughout the years.
I personally had a great time with him trying to develop a new pub theme that could have been nice if it had not been shut down and declined by some lawyer.

I don't know fly swatter that much, but he is right when he demands to move to ASSS. He is a great developer and can be a head of it as well, though don't expect him to stray away from his ideas that much, or am I wrong?

If there's a need to host an ASSS server on linux, for stability etc. I am capable of hosting it, whether it is in London or NY..

I say the best solution, is to give everyone of the above access and freedom to do what they want, as long as public changes are coordinated and they don't run over each other. Collaboration will automagically begin once they know what everyone is doing, by weekly emails and notifications, and one person coordinating when they can do stuff to public arena, and most importantly not by telling them what they can do, but when. Obviously it is some sort of risk as some are wild cards and some are not, but it's a risk worth taking and may resolve in a short term improvement for DSB.

Anyhow, anyone who wants to achieve something and help fix this zone will have to deal with the hardest challenge ever:
How to increase the base player population throughout the day?

Because without a base population, new players cannot join the game. veterans cannot play with other veterans. and league becomes less and less challenging and interesting.
At the moment the public arena is retarded and automatically drives away any new players who enters an empty void. There is an arena ?go dsb where people just prac. any new player that enters is automatically humiliated and probably quits as they have no clue what to do. That is if they know how to find this ?Go dsb arena.

For me DSB was first and foremost a community driven game, squads and chats, and some male bonding. This is why I joined the ER Staff, became a developer and got a squad ( OWLED ) of players who are new to league actually playing league games for the first time. All of this was for the community, as without it, there's no way to attract new players.
So think of ways to refresh the squad based game in the public arena..

Disclaimer: I'm aware I have been inactive in DSB for the past year or so, due to real life work and a bit of boredom and disappointment seeing all of the good people we had here disappear, so my views could be a little outdated.
I've also been quite disappointed of the turn of events that happened during the regime change to ent/liito with hoch's resignation. I'm quite sure only a handful of people know what exactly what was going on.

Short version:

bla bla bla

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

I already listed some of the changes I want to make.

1. Get a new rating system based more on skill for practices, change Ent's practice bot.
2. Fix up a module for Babl league so all the bases are on one map and you only need to be transported by the module to the base. (Not sure if this was done yet, but I bothered ent about it for 1 year and he did shit all then I was banned. Maybe in that second year that I was banned he finally did something? Doubt it.)
3. Fix up my pub map and upload it weekly (Saturday to Sunday) as a pub theme with Ent's Darth Vader event.

Ultimately what you guys don't understand about pub is, it's not the map that makes the pub. It's the players. You can have the most epic map in the world handcrafted by God Himself, and no one will play it because there is no one to play with. The way to revive pub is partly due to game play, but mostly due to getting players in pub and playing. And this will require hours and hours of effort that Only I have the time dedicate.

4. Finish the new DSB tile set
5. Fix the website and forums, I have a website designer ready to this.
6. Move DSB to ASSS, I already have two maybe three coders ready to do this.
7. Change some DSB rules. The Nkz rule and advertising other zones rule. And allowing DSB banner to be worn by none staff.
8. Bring our dev team up to 30 people.
9. Get practice in pub going, so anyone who is waiting for a practice might play pub in the mean time.

Although numbered, these are not in order because I will be doing them all at once. There is also an aspect to leadership that is not planned. I will improvise and make changes as they come up and as immediately as possible. No sitting on our ass for 2 weeks to get the smallest thing done.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Also want to get DSB radio started up again. To comment on league matches.

There are so many things I want to do. I even forget to list them sometimes. Believe me when I say, I'd be a busy sysop.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Obviously if I want our dev team to have 30 people. (The most it would ever have since chy) Then it means I want lots of development in DSB. Not just my own development. And it means I won't act like Hoch or Beer, and wait for people to come to me. I am an active person who has an initiative. I will go out and find developers to help DSB, much like recruiting for a squad. You can't get everybody, many people will not have time. But I'm sure I can grow the dev team in a couple of months. This means more development across the board. Everyone will be doing something, and even if 9/10 peoples work is not what DSB needs, 3/30 will be exactly what DSB needs. And that's better than the zero out of nothing we get done now.

So don't come on here act omniscient and tell me I don't know what I'm doing. Like I said IF I am lost I know how to ask for directions. I am able to approach Vanish, or Kemi, or Delic or even Beer Hunter and ask them what does DSB need. I can collect all that data see if there is a consensus and act upon it. And in fact I do this often so I don't have a chance to even get lost. I like asking people what they think.

If you disagree with any of my modes of action. Offer up how you would "save" DSB and I would do it. Maybe you don't have any better ideas?

One of my mottos while I was on DSB dev team, was that "You need to think big, to get big" It was my response to all the maps that shrink the deathstar. It was the wrong approach to saving DSB. What would happen when pub or league has 2 players? You'd make a 2 player league? Oh thats right we have team elim for that. Point being we need a normal sized deathstar, and a 12 vs 12 league. This doesn't mean I'd get rid of practice league. And it doesn't mean I'd scrap any other league. It means we need to work a little bit harder to get 12 vs 12 going again.

Angelu$

Post by Angelu$ »

Hi!

Been a while, still waiting for a mac OS version of continuum ;)

Great to see so many familiar faces here though - GkuA man, how you doin? I decided to skip on the whole Facebook hype, but it is certainly lasting longer than I anticipated and made me lose touch with some people. :( Anyway, I wasn't planning on hijacking this thread.

As you know I've been a part of DSB Staff for quite some time. I think that a sysop, or management in general, should enable people. You enable people by giving them the right tools and information at the right time: you guide people but don't belittle them (since you can learn as much from them as they from you). This is not a simple task. Although probably one of the least popular (head) sysops of DSB, Hoch has to be my favorite, for his judgement calls and consistency. He created stability but still allowed people to develop personally as well as the zone, although maybe he was not as progressive as some would have wanted. I myself know by now that I would have made a terrible sysop, not that I ever had the ambition, but still. I've become a scientist irl and I strongly believe that progress comes from creativity (although a certain IQ is a prerequisite, but less important).

Hoch is a lawyer, which gave him a certain open-mindedness towards all IT issues. I think Beer and Liito are both too close to the action to allow out of the box thinking. I'm not voting in this poll, but I strongly suggest choosing a person that creates stability, but allows an environment where creativity can thrive. That INCLUDES coping with people like snake, delic, falc etc. They rant, go crazy and berserk, sure. But the benefits of them are much greater and they just need a little steering every now and then.

Maybe I'll hang around here some more every now and then, when I was looking at some old HD's the other day I came across a few hundred screenshots (them scrnsht button next to ins) and was already flagging the whole star in head again. Good times…

- Ang

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

Just a quick comment on the subject, and good to see you here Angelu$

Looking back, there was a project being developed by the_snake and tango, it wasn't related to dsb but a custom zone, they had the right setup running asss on linux. The writeup was impressive, they was about to go all out on this project. I received an invite and look over the project, it was both extensive and detailed. I was later offered a position on there team. It was the quality of project that is appealing to me (unlike the current dsb), but i declined in order to help Eridu and Beer Hunter in Ents absence. The ironic part i suppose is snake and tango apparently burned out on that project, and it went no place, i join dsb and havent done much with it. This is reality, that project of the_snake and tango should of been a rebuild of dsb on asss, and i should have worked with them on it. Thats how things go.

On a personal note, as far as my direction and involvement is concerned. I'll for the most part just continue working with eridu and beer hunter, but would will and can make it possible for others to step forward. That includes the possibility of a second staff team working on there own project on this server. Details need worked out before a move to linux asss can happen, i'm all for that, but wont go it alone.

-Fly