Next Head Sysop (Vote)

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop?

Beer Hunter
36%
Fly Swatter
20%
Delic
8%
Eridu
4%
Falconeer
24%
No change (Keep Liito and Entropy)
4%
Find someone else
4%

Total votes: 25

the_real_the_snake

Re: Next Head Sysop (Vote)

Post by the_real_the_snake »

Fly Swatter wrote:Just a quick comment on the subject, and good to see you here Angelu$

Looking back, there was a project being developed by the_snake and tango, it wasn't related to dsb but a custom zone, they had the right setup running asss on linux. The writeup was impressive, they was about to go all out on this project. I received an invite and look over the project, it was both extensive and detailed. I was later offered a position on there team. It was the quality of project that is appealing to me (unlike the current dsb), but i declined in order to help Eridu and Beer Hunter in Ents absence. The ironic part i suppose is snake and tango apparently burned out on that project, and it went no place, i join dsb and havent done much with it. This is reality, that project of the_snake and tango should of been a rebuild of dsb on asss, and i should have worked with them on it. Thats how things go.

On a personal note, as far as my direction and involvement is concerned. I'll for the most part just continue working with eridu and beer hunter, but would will and can make it possible for others to step forward. That includes the possibility of a second staff team working on there own project on this server. Details need worked out before a move to linux asss can happen, i'm all for that, but wont go it alone.

-Fly
Well I kinda froze it, for two main reasons:
1. It would have taken too much time for one person to code all of that in ASSS.
2. The reality distortion field I had on myself kinda passed away and I figured that theres no bloody way I could get by own any new players into this game, hence not worth the time investing in completing the project.

The above(no.2) being something that needs to be addressed and thinking about, then laying the ground for its execution, before any change and task is started in the zone, unless u wanna still from TW :E

sea

Post by sea »

Does Sysop have to be anything more than someone who's around and will only use their position to establish anything the STAFF (with community input) has decided to be the best change/add/decision. 'Robotic skills' shouldn't be overlooked since those might just be the skills sysop needs the most.

Beer gets my vote. He is reliable (10 years of solid smodding), won't make rash decisions and follows the rules and guidelines set for the community.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Whats a rash decision?

Effectively you are saying we need less change in DSB. A stable environment because things are too crazy? More of the same old?

Keep in mind as a mapper, I've mapped 30 versions of my own death star. This process started with creativity, but ultimately seeks to grab the best of the original deathstar while adding new features. As such I've spent many hours looking at the classic deathstar design. How each sector was made, why the deathstar is the size that it is. What problems arise when you shrink it. (Having shrunk the deathstar 5 times. 3 times with Dakrns Map per his requests, twice with my own.) Why the core is the size it is. Why there are doors someplace and not others. Bombing lanes, various tube sizes, how one sector flows to the other. How east was formed, if east can exist anywhere else, what factors contribute to creating an east, how flag distribution came about and so on. As such I've developed a great respect for the original map which currently almost no one has. Any NEW map unless adopted whole heatedly by the community can't replace the original map, and therefore would only be a theme week map until such a time that said new map becomes as enjoyable and loved as the classic map.

So there are no rash decisions being made in regards to destroying pub on my part. We can fix the gameplay, and I believe A BIG CHANGE is needed there. Is a Big change necessarily a rash decision? No. No it is not. As for new maps, it's based on what the community wants. As for a new tile set it generally follows the same principle as new maps. But a new tileset is always good to try out.

In respect to league trying to get a 12 vs 12 league going is not a rash decision. It is just a needed one. Even if it amounts to Europe Vs North America League, with 5 games, and an outcome. We can combine this with a fantasy league and place our bets on MVP, top flaggers, and the winner of the league. In the end, ADDING to a zone is not harming a zone. Harm only comes when you take good things away. Removing the bad, and adding more good can only serve to improve the zone.
Last edited by falconeer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eridu

Post by Eridu »

@Hello

I know that 150 per kill is too much and completely agree. I brought it to the attention of Beer Hunter after week 1 of Prac Sector League. League had already started so no change was made. I in fact have worked out that kills should be worth 48 points in N, 36 pts in S and W and 30 in E. That gives them the same value as 150 per kill in a 100 flag game of 12 vs 12. I have suggested setting the prac2 arena at 36 pts per kill. Was waiting for Sunday to ask players...

Every player in game getting 1 kill divided by maximum possible points from flags in 1 ding = .3

12vs12

24 Players in game X 150 per kill = 3600 100 flags x 10pts per flag x 12 players on team = 12000 3600/12000=.3

East

20 Flags x 10 pts per flag x 3 players on team = 600 600 x .3=180 180 divided by 6 Players in game = 30 pts per kill

South and West

24 flags x 10 pts per flag x 3 players on team = 720 720 x .3=216 216 divided by 6 players in game = 36 pts per kill

North

32 flags x 10 pts per flag x 4 players on team = 1280 1280 x .3 = 384 384 divided by 8 players in game = 48 pts per kill

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

the_real_the_snake wrote:
Well I kinda froze it, for two main reasons:
1. It would have taken too much time for one person to code all of that in ASSS.
2. The reality distortion field I had on myself kinda passed away and I figured that theres no bloody way I could get by own any new players into this game, hence not worth the time investing in completing the project.

The above(no.2) being something that needs to be addressed and thinking about, then laying the ground for its execution, before any change and task is started in the zone, unless u wanna still from TW :E
The 2nd part, its something i've never considered addressing. DSB is dysfunctional and needs attention before promoting (I dont know).

-Fly

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Eridu wrote:I know that 150 per kill is too much and completely agree. I brought it to the attention of Beer Hunter after week 1 of Prac Sector League. League had already started so no change was made. I in fact have worked out that kills should be worth 48 points in N, 36 pts in S and W and 30 in E. That gives them the same value as 150 per kill in a 100 flag game of 12 vs 12. I have suggested setting the prac2 arena at 36 pts per kill. Was waiting for Sunday to ask players...
No offense in any way but if you listened, you would know that 150 pts per kill was set for 6 vs 6 league, not 12 vs 12, hence the pts
you are suggesting are way too low. Then it would be like league 1-7 where kills did not matter in any way and committing a suicide for
flags at ding was wise...

Check the original thread for better points calculation, but in general people seemed to agree a kill should be worth roughly 2 flags.
For example, in an east prac a flag is worth 30 points, hence 60 pts per kill is close to the optimal one in east. 80 in north and so on.

Eridu

Post by Eridu »

Tembest wrote:No offense in any way but if you listened, you would know that 150 pts per kill was set for 6 vs 6 league, not 12 vs 12, hence the pts
you are suggesting are way too low. Then it would be like league 1-7 where kills did not matter in any way and committing a suicide for
flags at ding was wise...
Well can easily be calculated for 12vs12. I do remember it being used for 6vs6, just thought it had stayed the same. Funny though that I already mentioned this in staff chat and "no one" said nothing about 150 not being for 12 vs 12. And 12 vs 12 kills being worth more, so if anyone remembers the amount, post it, because apparently others are "not sure" what it was. If you know it temb, wish you would have posted it. Point is, I can easily figure it out. Just give me the number I need to start with.

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

falconeer wrote:In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop? This means coding, development, website, forums, zone policies, and being ACTIVE.

Coding
Someone who can transfer the zone over to ASSS would be a bonus. Someone who can fix the practice bots, and code other bots that are needed in the zone.

Website
The website needs an overhaul, both functionally and graphically, and we also need a league website.

Development
This person is the best chance to get a development team going. It has to be someone other people are willing to work with. DSB used to be the golden standard in all of subspace for a Dev team. We had over 30 developers when Chy was around. From coders, to graphic designers to map makers.

Forums
Kind of self explanatory. It's been 13 years, let's get DSB a nice forum environment for once.

Zone policy
Do you want someone who bans everyone for every little thing, or someone who is tolerant and more understanding with the player community? Should the person in charge focus on policing people or developing for them?

ACTIVITY
A very important requirement, that I think everyone on this poll meets. Keep in mind activity also means playing the game and not just sitting in spec all the time.

*If you want someone not on this list, post their name, and give a reason why.
I can't believe people actually vote for this thing.

Falconeer, you can't even be a candidate, you've been banned for life by Hoch, banned by Beer Hunter and banned by Eridu.
If somehow you will be sysop, and I don't see how that will happen, I guarantee here that I never enter this zone again and other people will do the same.

Argyle

Post by Argyle »

Argyle here, just saying hi and letting you know I'm following the forum. If we see no action the coming week I'll dig in more the following week to see if we can find a solution to the leadership / candidates, if we have people willing to keep the pulse alive in DSB. I'll wait too see if Liito steps in though. The poll itself isn't that important from my perspective, it's about the persons and what they bring to the table.

When it comes to the sysop role, as some already mentioned it is more about leadership, communication skills and someone that steer in the right direction. It's like the old saying; Doing the right things is more important than doing things right. I would say this would be the job description for a sysop in one sentence. Keeping the focus and directing the compass when everybody is running.

One person cannot do it alone though, you need a good team with people that coordinate, people that are great innovators, coders, mods and so on. If we have that maybe DSB can get back its pulse.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Sk no one ever quit DSB because of me. People get busy, or have things to do in real life. They got bored of SS, or moved on to other games. You really want me to believe that a few lines of text I make will make people rage quit a zone they love? If you quit because I'm sysop, before even waiting to see If I'm doing a good job. Then effectively you are saying you don't really love the game or the zone. For myself the settings of DSB were always enough to bring me back. Even after numerous bans, injustices and being made fun of continuously by a whole community. You cry that you suffered because you were trolled by one person? Get over yourself, I was bullied by the whole lot of you, and I'm still here and never complained once about it or said I would quit. Complaining about lame bans is different.

The majority of people in power today in Continuum have broken rules, been banned, netbanned, and taken down whole zones. Polix was no saint when he started on continuum. He was banned from zones before. But he ended up becoming the best asset this game ever had.

You need to really learn to be more accepting of others. All you've ever done is black mail people. If league isn't this way I'll not play it. If I don't get what I want I'll remove my squad. If your in charge I won't play. Blackmail is not cool.

Well said Argyle.