Next Head Sysop (Vote)

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

In terms of what is best for DSB, who is the best person to take over as head sysop?

Beer Hunter
36%
Fly Swatter
20%
Delic
8%
Eridu
4%
Falconeer
24%
No change (Keep Liito and Entropy)
4%
Find someone else
4%

Total votes: 25

Pater Punishment

Re: Next Head Sysop (Vote)

Post by Pater Punishment »

My email to argyle yesterday:
---

Hello,

Pater Punishment here from DSB. I'm a long time player (started from 2001) and I've been convinced that Fly Swatter as head sysop would be beneficial to the zone, in bringing up it's long lost activity. Basically I was there to see it go downward from 2003, and played every league since dsbl3, capping a squad called Everglaze for most of the time.

I talked with both Fly and a player named Falconeer today, and saw the effort they have put into developing new stuff. I think it's the kind of dynamic the zone needs, being near extinction.

Falconeer is also a former squad captain who worked hard to bring new players in. I respect him for that, but the current leadership banned him. In short, his energy would be best directed towards developing the zone, which he seems very motivated to do.

Fly seems to be able to put a lot of dev ideas into form with remarkable speed, although he doesn't get enough credit and doesn't give himself enough credit for that IMO. Fly and Falc could make a good and active devving/zone leading team.

As for Beer, he might be a motivated and experienced zone leader, but his views are often somewhat narrow-minded, and he oftentimes lacks good judgement. I also suspect he might not have the means and the dynamic and fresh ideas needed to progress the zone and bring in new players.

Also, Fly and Falc would be ready to cooperate with Beer and Eridu. I think the zone needs activity and motivation in the top leadership.

So, this is my vote towards having Fly Swatter as head sysop of DSB, and reinstating Falc in a dev position.

For what it counts,

Pater Punishment

Pater Punishment

Post by Pater Punishment »

One more thing, as I work with solving all kinds of problems IRL also..

One thing thats being forgotten often when there's such a "multiple choice" question involved, is a solution that involves all the options, or a combination of the options.

In this case, I would consider ideal that the head sysop position would be given to Fly, falc would get dev position back, and Eridu+Beer would continue running league. Also if he wants, Delic could be recruited to a high dev position, making him and snake (who seems to be motivated to work with D) one of 2-3 "dev teams" working on separate projects.

Or something. But the situation needs one active and coordinating person or team making it work. And bringing in more players should be top priority.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

I wasn't suggesting closing this thread. Just making a comment on the current state of affairs.

I'm not voting either, I don't play the game and haven't for a very long time. I have always kept that in mine when posting on these forums. I'm just along for the ride.

Some very interesting comments in this thread though. Some very good discussion.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

An Ideal situation would involve everyone working together.

@FLY
I don't get why you think nothing would change. As a sysop you would have the most important say on who gets banned. As such I would only be banned IF I broke real rules, and only after given a warning to stop. (The way it should be). This already makes a drastic change in the zone, because I won't be impeded from developing for 1 month, because of a 3 second decision I made when I made a joke to Eridu that I didn't think would be taken that seriously.

@FLY
You keep saying you don't have access to the website, and forums, and bots. Is this true or is not true? If it's not true, then getting you access is a good step forward. Because I will say "Hey fly, can I have access to the forums for 1 week, so I can spiffy them up?" And you being a good natured guy will say "Sure falc, I don't see why not, I trust you." And then that's it, DSB will have some forum templates which might get the forums a bit more active.

@EVERYONE
Guys don't underestimate the power of little things to make a difference. Including the fact that 1 person can make a difference, which was proven repeatedly throughout history. All these little things add up. Every drop of water builds up to an ocean. If we spent more time DOING things THAT we CAN DO, Instead of mulling over BIGGER things we can't change, we would have a much better zone than we have now. So yes, a nicer forum and website will help, even if it gets us +1 people only. A nice pub theme will help, and a new tile set will go along way. I'm not saying these changes will SAVE dsb, I am saying it's a step in the right direction as opposed to sitting on our ass another 2 years. These are things I AM CAPABLE of doing, and so I want to do them.

People like Eridu are always invaluable (indispensable) because he does make the zone more interesting and he's focused on getting people into the game and actually playing it. And this is also extremely required right now.

@FLY
Fly Swatter I really think things would change with you as sysop. And I agree with many of your points directed at Delic and the Snake, as I said at the top of my post. I wish everyone would work together. So if you can get access, then for the nth time, get it. I want to add some forum templates (If you don't like them, you just use the default forum template). And give me the bots, so I can start transferring them over to ASSS, and give me some website access, so I can see what I can do about graphics. LET ME DO SOMETHING!!!!

@DSB "staff"
And Contrary to popular belief, I am not a slave just because I want to dev. I don't have to do what everyone asks or bend over for you guys. I will make the upgrades that I am currently interested in, and according to what the community desires. Meaning everyone can give me input to change it to their liking. Meaning full disclosure and transparancy. But that doesn't mean I need permission from you guys to update a forum template. Get real? FALC WE DIDN'T AUTHORIZE THIS, DON'T DO IT. FALC WE HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO FOCUS ON DONT DO IT? I seriously can't believe the bullshit I hear from some of DSB staff sometimes. And this is exactly why snake and delic don't want to bother with devving.

Ultimately, I think I could get everyone to work together.. at least I am willing to try and I want everyone to work together..

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Also while Snake and Delic have reservations about working with Fly Swatter. They definitely will never work with Beer hunter. This is why this Poll states "The best person for Sysop". Nobody hates Beer Hunter I would hope and personally I like him, although I'm guessing the feeling isn't mutual. A poll like this isn't a popularity contest either. This in my eyes is about getting a dev team going again in this once great zone. Who can bring together everyone who would otherwise never work together? Me and snake I would like to think are friends. We've been on some of the same squads, we sometimes talk on skype, we set up a zone together, we shared the same views about Hoch. And me and Delic although we sometimes disagreed in the past often usually teamed up against Hoch on many subjects and both of us shared a love for 17th parallel. Delic deserves to be apart of this poll because he's a DSBer as much as anyone else, and for a long time has been pushed aside and not given a chance to make a difference. I wouldn't mind at all if he ran the show, because I'm sure he wouldn't care about banning people and would allow me to dev whatever I want. And No I am not in support of anarchy (haha). Rules are good, but there is a big disconnect between the rules and what people get banned for in this zone.

The point is, I would try everyday, to get snake to join in (and infact you can ask snake, I often do bug him on skype about coming back to DSB), and would actually ask delic what he thinks. To the point that even if he wasn't staff, he would see that I value his ideas. Some other people would never do this. They wouldn't have the time, the persistence, and they would have too much pride. We need a dev team here, not a lone ranger.

Eridu

Post by Eridu »

I'll start with the obvious. Falc you are full of shit and exagerate everything, twisting the truth to manipulate people. You keep going on about how I banned you for a joke when you know damn well thats not why you got banned, that's why you got gagged. You got banned for what I thought was bypassing a gag, i saw you typing while your nic "falconeer" was still in dsb. You were double clienting and logging into billing with the same nic simultaneously, so I didn't care to remove the ban. You also were going around saying the gag was for 9000 hours, its was 9999 seconds which is 2hr 46min 39 seconds. Big difference between <3hrs and 9000 hours. This type of lying is nothing new for you and I truly feel sorry for anyone that believes everything you say.

You have no control of yourself and your number 1 priority will never be dsb, it will always be falc AND dsb. You talk about staff not putting others before themselves, take a look in the mirror. You act like your some angel that never damaged dsb in anyway. All your trolling of new players that made them leave. Team Killing people and irritating them, staying in NKZ and killing people as they fly out of the safe. You always camped NKZ and killed people on the way out which caused them to leave the zone. You even did that during a time when the population was really low, much lower then it is now. This is just a little bit of the BS you pull in dsb and it hurts dsb!

Everything Fly Swatter said in his post is true. When Ent went off into real life, he left Event Staff in charge of pub themes. We both have complete access to server (because I made sure we both had access) and could upload anything anyone devs. We've asked multiple devvers over the last 2 years to do something but nobody wants to unless they are in head sysop position. My first real act as ER Sysop was to offer my position to the_snake. I was ready to take a back seat, back to smod for him to come back and be ER Sysop when Event Staff has complete control of pub themes. He said no.

Its kind of sickening to see people posting about whats best for dsb yet I never see those same people in dsb. First step to helping dsb, is logging into dsb. I've logged into dsb everyday I have been on staff (2yrs 9mths), even before I joined staff, I logged on pretty much everyday. I wish delic and snake would have been devving the last 2 years. They had every opportunity too, they knew this.

DSB's main problem today is that we don't have ASSS. Not who gets banned or not. No one really gets banned anymore but if you want to ask for attention that badly I will gladly give it to you and you should thank me for giving you what you asked for. If we have ASSS we can move forward and fly can code his ass off since it wont take so long. Devastation zone runs on ASSS, Ahmad would be much more helpful if we were too. We could probably use the same bots. Snake and delic have been welcome on staff for the last 2 years+. It has been thier decision to be away from the game. NO ONE was keeping them away. Event Staff has been willing to try anything in pub and see if it's a hit.

Sadly I must now go on to myself. I'm not one to brag about what I get done in game. It's why you don't see me on forums. I may not post it but it does not mean I didn't come up with it. Even when players aske things like who did that, I've said "staff" instead of me. I joined a staff that was still riddled with abuse, real abuse. I joined a staff that admitted to hopping in UFO ship and unflagging peoples flags. I actually tried to give a player UFO so players can enjoy it a bit but the server kicked him because it thinks he is cheating :P. I joined a staff that made me wait hours, sometimes a full day, to get ER-Master respawned so I can host. It is very simple to log into server and hit restart, take 1-2 minutes. I spoke my mind openly about the behaviour of SR. staff towards the players, I never once held back. I spoke openly to Ent about everything, even his growing absence, it's why I said we needed Fly Swatter to have full server access. We obviously need a devver with full access to server that is actually active. I got into many arguments/discussions with SR Staff, even over falconeer himself, I always defended him because I knew he could do work and help us and recognized how staff pushed him too.

People may see me as being ER Sysop by default, I see it as being ER Sysop because I was the only one around who was willing to do anything to actually help dsb. I joined staff at dsb's worst point. No one wanted to be part of it. I played ALOT of 1 vs 1 in pub in 2011 just for the sake of having something going. Highlife and I spent that whole summer playing 1 vs 1. It's doing the things you don't want to do that help dsb not only the stuff you want to, like only devving your ideas. There was times when i had no desire to play but I kept going because I was determined to not let dsb die. Even to this day I give up my prac spots to any player that wants it and believe me I want to play. We need the players here, I'll be here anyway. Immoral even logged into zone in middle of prac other day and Pm'd me with "GET OUT" and I did. Got a nice LOL out of it.

3:notsoserious> I'd vote Eri
3:notsoserious> Cuz he gets shit done

^That really meant alot coming from someone who was actually in staff the bulk of the time I have been on staff. I may not dev but I definately put effort into everything I know I can do. My help/flow of information has been limited over my time on staff, recently there has been more of a team effort. I convinced fly to join us and help, didn't take too much convincing but I did go after him. I got ahmad from devastation zone to come and make us a bab warp bot so we could have all the bab bases on same map and keep the population in one arena. I learned how to make maps and made many of those bab bases and put them all together on the new map. I asked devastation zone to let us use some of their stuff for our bases, they said yes, we let them use bab. Some bab bases are the same since falc helped them set up bab in deva too. We now have a open relationship with deva which is definately beneficial. I have all the paperwork for the last few leagues, last league I didn't help that much on was Team Combat league. I have not been "assisting" anyone with leagues. I actually know math and can make proper scoring systems and schedules. I've never said I run it alone either, its a team effort, mostly BH and I ofc. We both discuss rules and pros and cons of each and have decided together on things. I make every effort to keep as many teams as possible in the running for playoffs for as long as I can. I do my best to get all games played. I wake up to an alarm every Sunday and start hosting first thing in the morning. I don't even eat until the matches are over, sometimes I wait longer to make sure pracs are going. Some of you may have a problem with simple request from staff during league matches but you have to understand the amount of things we have to pay attention to when the bots dont function at 100% and the amount of cry we will get if we miss something. You guys know damn well dsb has plenty of players that try to pull stupid things all the time. I started the DSB Players Council which ended up failing because there was simply not enough activity at the time,might actually work today. I filled it with both pub and league players. I always wanted players to have a voice but its hard to let people know you hear what they say when nothing is being done because there is no one to do it. I was the one who gave falc dev arena access 1 month ago when his ban from Ent ended. Even made extra arenas for him. Bottom line is that I have done what I can and I have actually tried to get others to join staff. I hired fly swatter,ahmad, zilla420,Big-f (soon returning to staff),ER>Raminator, ER>lafreak. I made an effort to hire active people over my time on staff and they have helped keep the zone going by actually playing the game.

Falc's problem today is still the same, he puts his own entertainment before dsb and thats why people have not wanted him around. He can quickly become to much to deal with and people are not taking time from their day to help dsb just to put up with someone who enjoys being an ass so much. Falc will always lie, even when he's "not trolling" like with this current situation. He will exagerate things to make his point look better. When he is trolling he lies partly in an effort to get the person he's trolling to give away the real info. He fishes for real info with fake info, he's looking to be corrected so he can learn something. Falc can only control himself mildy for so long. He eventually reverts to his own entertainment coming first. That is a scary thing to think of a person with power. Remeber that Sysops and even Smods can see information about you. Mostly your IP and machine ID. A person who claims to know hackers and know a bit himself and has no self control when it comes to his own entertainment will have access to that information. Falc can dev but should never be allowed to be Smod or higher.

Do you the players want falc with access to your information? Maybe that should be a poll.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

OMG!, I thought you hated forums :P?

Anyway, you did your job in banning falc, and didnt know how he did what he did. Either way, an immediate ban was called for to protect the zone from a possible hack. The overall length of the ban was debatable, and it wasn't pushed to a full year, so it is what it is.

-Fly

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Really Fly Swatter protecting the zone from a hack? If I wanted to hack DSB I would have learned how to do it years ago. Secondly I can unban, and I never unbanned my 1 year ban. Thirdly when you figured out it wasn't "hacking" you should have removed the 1 month ban because double clienting is not illegal. Polix even told people how to double client on SSFORUMS. Lastly there are ways to crash the server by inputting bad settings in a settings file in an arena. I've had access to Dev arenas since the the_snake was sysop and the zone never crashed once. Not even after all the shit bans I had to endure from you retards.

Also I don't lie, as a troll there is no need to lie, the truth trolls people better than anything else. It was a 9000 hour gag. If it was 9000 seconds then I'm only mistaken. There is a difference between not knowing something and lieing. As for why I was banned, since there was no gag evade, all that's left is the mom joke. You found out I never evaded a gag, and I'm still banned. All that's left on the table is a mom joke. So I must be still banned for that reason. There is no lieing here, just a failure of education on your part. Both with being unable to determine when someone evades a gag, and now with what I type.
Eridu wrote:You have no control of yourself and your number 1 priority will never be dsb, it will always be falc AND dsb. You talk about staff not putting others before themselves, take a look in the mirror. You act like your some angel that never damaged dsb in anyway. All your trolling of new players that made them leave. Team Killing people and irritating them, staying in NKZ and killing people as they fly out of the safe. You always camped NKZ and killed people on the way out which caused them to leave the zone. You even did that during a time when the population was really low, much lower then it is now. This is just a little bit of the BS you pull in dsb and it hurts dsb!
Are you joking? Nothing I ever did hurts DSB. There are only two people in DSB who hate me. Seriel Killer and Notososerious. These clowns absolutely hate me and they never quit DSB. No one quit DSB because of me. If someone quit DSB they quit because of life, and other things that they had to focus on. Killing people just outside the NKZ is allowed in every zone except "yours truly" the retard zone Death Star Battle. Get a grip on yourself this won't make players rage quit. None of the people I killed were new players, they were Big-f Smurfing his 100th nick and veterans. It was a shit idea to put NKZs in pub and I was protesting Manwhore and Ents failures. This rule about killing around the NKZ is an old ass outdated rule, just like not being able to advertise other zones is. These two rules need to be removed.

As for new players, I'm the one who made tons of new squads around 6, 3 of which entered DSB league 12, and 2 which were in 4vs4 league. My squads ALWAYS had a show up, and I trained most of the new players in the zone. I recruited over 300 players over the years, and many of them where disregarded as trash and not worthy to be in a league squad. Including you. So please stop your jealousy from talking about me.
Its kind of sickening to see people posting about whats best for dsb yet I never see those same people in dsb
Maybe if you unban me? Banned still. Prior to this banned 1 year. K thanks.
I joined staff at dsb's worst point. No one wanted to be part of it.
Wrong again, I wanted to dev at that time too. Ent banned me.

Noob who brought you to devastation? Introduced you to tm. Had to force you to come to the zone because you didn't even want to at the start? If I wasn't banned I would have gotten Ahmad to code for DSB.
That is a scary thing to think of a person with power.
Really how scary were my squads? I ran them, I had power compared to everyone who joined? The only scary thing I remember from my squads was you asking to be captain constantly and asking me to transfer squad over. You are power hungry my friend. That's why I never gave you anything.

Also I was sysop in Devastation for 1 year, in 2008, you can ask tm_master, and he can verify that nobody ever got banned and I didn't break or abuse any rules.
I hired fly swatter,ahmad, zilla420,Big-f (soon returning to staff),ER>Raminator, ER>lafreak.
All things I would have done if 1. I wasn't banned 2. I was sysop.

falconeer

Post by falconeer »

Eridu wrote:Remember that Sysops and even Smods can see information about you. Mostly your IP and machine ID. A person who claims to know hackers and know a bit himself and has no self control when it comes to his own entertainment will have access to that information. Falc can dev but should never be allowed to be Smod or higher.
I already have your IP from squad forums and website. You never got hacked. If you try too hard to vilify me it will only backfire.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

falconeer wrote:Really Fly Swatter protecting the zone from a hack? If I wanted to hack DSB I would have learned how to do it years ago. Secondly I can unban, and I never unbanned my 1 year ban. Thirdly when you figured out it wasn't "hacking" you should have removed the 1 month ban because double clienting is not illegal. Polix even told people how to double client on SSFORUMS.
I figure out what happened, explained it, stopped a potential one year ban and lifetime ban from dev. Was it fair, not really, but double clienting can fall under other categories of cheating, and can be considered illegal by this zone no matter what other zones do. Bans is almost over, so it was what it was.

-Fly