It's over.

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Pater Punishment

Re: It's over.

Post by Pater Punishment »

That was about what.. 2-3 years ago. Hoch wanted to shut down DSB when it was still on, as Duper put it, a "high note", but as I would put it, on an inevitable decline from 30% of what is once was to 0 %.

DSB's problem was always, since 2003, its top brass. Inflexibility.

But above all, every leader DSB has ever had should have known to fking step down when they had nothing more to give and they saw things going worse year by year and/or they had no time to tend to it. No one put a gun to your head to continue. Quite the opposite.

-Px

ID01

Post by ID01 »

Disheartening to hear...

Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I am happy to be fortunate enough to be there during it's prime time. The memory of the "Good old day" where we had 12 vs 12 battles will never go away, not even after CS or Cyris or SC2 or LoL/Dota2 or anything. It was gaming at it's best.

Long live DSB and DSBL.

Magnum Size

Post by Magnum Size »

Hey ID01
Long time no see

ID01

Post by ID01 »

Magnum Size wrote:Hey ID01
Long time no see
A little too long it appears. Sorry I wasn't around to help with anything!

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

The title of this thread, while not that far from the truth, is misleading as that wasn't the context it was intended in.

Regardless, yes what happened was a couple years ago Hoch saw the steady decline of DSB and decided, apparently on his own without asking anyone else, to announce that DSB would be shut down in a year. His idea was that it could go out with a bang, rather than a whimper. We could try and make the best of the last year and get all the older players involved in some final grand finale events before the plug was pulled and we all sailed off into the sunset.

The few hardcore players left freaked out. They basically led a revolt until Hoch reversed the decision and shortly after, left DSB for good and handed over control to someone else. We haven't seen or heard from him since (as far as I'm aware). In the mean time though, since there was a lot of turmoil the hardcore players said Hoch's decision caused more harm than good and people fled to other zones since they thought DSB's number was up. That or left all together.

The folks that thought it might have been a good idea are mostly gone, but probably sad to see it die so slowly instead of with a bang with everyone together.

I think maybe both sides were a bit right, but seeing it slowly end like this is depressing either way. I've always said I'll stick around here until the lights go out for good and I'm a man of my word. Till the bitter end...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Detector

Post by Detector »

Its funny how all former DSB players and those who left years ago now only type to the dsb forums and never revisits the zone again (im one of them now). Also, it seems kind of clear that DSB wont get a status like before maybe ever again, these are just the facts i've been following these days.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

I haven't actively played the game since 2003 or so. But have been active in the forums since. Was a good way to try and keep in touch with some of the friends I made in game. 99% of them are gone now. :(

Someone should make a DSB Google+ group or something and try and get all the oldies to join. These forums won't be around forever and when they are gone and DSB is gone. That's it.

Probably too late now though...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

There is a Facebook group created by Gentleman and co-operated together with our staff. It's updated frequently with what's up in game and there's over 100 people joined to it. Might wanna join if you're in Facebook. The group is called SSCU Deathstarbattle, should be easy to find.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Nice. I don't have a Facebook account unfortunately. Guess I could make a dud one just to follow the DSB group. Do people post in it a decent amount? Must be strange crossing over an online persona to a real one where all your friends and family see it and wonder that the hell that SSCU DSB thing is. ;)

Detector

Post by Detector »

They are active on facebook, but not active at these forums? Is this true?