HOWTO: Play Continuum on Linux using virtualbox [EASY!]

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

zi|ch

HOWTO: Play Continuum on Linux using virtualbox [EASY!]

Post by zi|ch »

Play Continuum on Linux using Virtualbox

Have you wanted to move to Linux, but couldn't, because Continuum is Windows only? Or are you like me, taken by the world of free software, just to find yourself ripped apart from the most enjoyable activity of playing Subspace? Sure you can download Wine source code, apply patches, compile it and hope for the best, but it has been starting to feel like Subspace is just out of reach for us using Linux. Fear not, for the time of sorrow and greaf is now over and the time of virtual machines is here!

Now, as always, this howto merely tells what I have done. It might or might not work for you and I will not take any responsibility for what might happen during or after following these steps. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Right. I shall assume that you already have some version of Linux installed. There are plenty of good howtos on installing any Linux distribution: just google "installing linux" or "installing <distribution of choise>". This guide is based around Debian Linux as the host operating system, and Windows XP as the guest, but the majority of things should apply to any other combination of Linux/Micro$oft.

Setting up a Windows XP virtual machine is quite straightforward. The basic steps are:
-Install Virtualbox
-Create a virtual machine and install Windows on it
-Install Continuum and start playing!

You'll need:
-Windows XP installation CD or CD-image ( .iso file or equivalent)
-Serial code for the above
-Few gigs of free space

The Process

1) Installing Virtualbox

Start by installing the Virtualbox software (this applies to Debian(/Ubuntu/Mint), other distros will have their own programs and/or commands, use google if unsure).

You can either use Synaptic from the menu (which is a graphical tool for installing software) and search for "virtualbox" and install

OR

simply run the following commands in a terminal:

Check for any available updates:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude update
Update your system:

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
Install virtualbox:

sudo aptitude install virtualbox

2) Add your user to the "vboxusers" gruop

To run Virtualbox, your user must be in the "vboxusers" group.

Run in terminal:

sudo adduser <username> vboxusers
(example: sudo adduser zilch vboxusers)

3) Set up the guest OS

Insert the XP installation CD (only if you are not using CD-image)

Run Virtualbox by selecting it from the menu.

Click "New" to add a new virtual machine, the defaults should be fine.

You can check that your CD/DVD Drive is shown in: Settings -> Storage.

If you are using a CD-image, you need to select it by going to:
Settings -> Storage -> Click the "Add Attachment (+)" button -> Select "Add CD/DVD Device" -> Choose disk -> select your .iso

Start/run the virtual machine you just created.

Install Windows XP just as usual.

RECOMMENDED: Install updates (use Windows update from start menu, download SP3 installer, install..), get a firewall, antivirus..

4) Download Continuum, install and enjoy!

Tips:

Fullscreen mode: Right Ctrl + F

Virtualbox automatically selects appropriate resolution for the guest os. However you can choose any resolution from Continuums menu (select full screen) and press "Right Ctrl + F" to go to fullscreen mode (and back). Voila!

Sources:
https://seogadget.co.uk/how-to-install-virtualbox/

Any suggestions/corrections please post or PM 8-)

Matioso

Re: HOWTO: Play Continuum on Linux using virtualbox [EASY!]

Post by Matioso »

gj!

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

zi|ch, thanks for the info.

I don't want disrespect but Linux sucks really bad,
I have been trying all sorts of Linux versions throughout
the years and it just doesn't let go of the stupid terminal commands.
Also, they have a lot of compatibility issues with documents.

Maybe it's best to wait until they fix those.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Seriel Killer wrote:zi|ch, thanks for the info.

I don't want disrespect but Linux sucks really bad,
I have been trying all sorts of Linux versions throughout
the years and it just doesn't let go of the stupid terminal commands.
Also, they have a lot of compatibility issues with documents.

Maybe it's best to wait until they fix those.
I just can't keep myself from objecting :D

Terminal is one of the strengths of Linux. In windows you need a program for virtually everything. In Linux simpler and usually fewer tools can achieve the same results. Sure it's more learning in the beginning, but much more efficient later on.

The compatibility issue, especially with Microsoft's proprietary formats (MS Office), is unfortunate and a really big issue. Those who have to deal with such documents on daily bases are forced to compromise. There are ways for the casual user which work very well, such as OpenOffice (or other office suites, which have all the functions of Microsoft Office, albeit there are some problems with formatting documents exactly the same), Wine (with which you can run Windows software), or virtual machines (such as Virtualbox, where you can run an operating system within another). Take note that a document created in Office 2007 might not appear the same in Office 2010. Same goes for OpenOffice.

One more thing you didn't mention is the problem with some drivers. Some manufacturers don't release information on how their hardware works, only provide closed source Windows drivers. Making Linux drivers for such hardware is a time consuming process and is not completed for all hardware. Even though this affects only minority of users, it's very frustrating for those.

Different people obviously have different needs, interests and priorities. I like to be able control anything and everything on my system. If I want to set up a web server, it takes (hold on..) ..one command (sudo aptitude install apache2), plus checking the config file (which is usually OK with defaults) and creating the site of course. If I need to do something more out of the ordinary with the server, it most likely is possible, and there's a howto online. There is a graphical tool for installing stuff too. And Microsoft (or Apple) is not telling me what I can or cannot do with my system; if I want to edit system files, then I do.

The problems with proprietary formats is something that's been worked on constantly, but I doubt will be perfect for many years.. The terminal is something that a normal desktop user doesn't need to use, unless s/he needs to fix some specific problem (such as adding user in a right group, as above), but if s/he ever has to, there probably is a howto online (such as the one above) that tells everything needed in detail. Come to think of it, there actually is a graphical tool for managing users and groups, but I have never needed it; why navigate through menus and tabs when a single line does it all? (Taking this into account, the howto above can be completed without touching the terminal once)

Anyway I'm not converting people to Linux, this howto is aimed for people who have wanted to move to Linux or already have, and lost Subspace while doing so.