Next Head Sysop?

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

jim the chin

Re: Next Head Sysop?

Post by jim the chin »

What about 17th Parallel!??!?!?
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

I subscribe to the theory that others are saying, that dsb has maybe one last league left in it, and that could likely flop or fail to launch.

If there isn't a real plan in place then its over.

Delic

Post by Delic »

Hey Temb. The most blurry part would be pub. I think most people around here with some sense
know what we need from pub in terms of gameplay. How to create it is less clear. There are basic
principles that I have clear, but I'd have to put my mind back into the game to clarify the rest, which
would not be a problem.
Most of my proposals for pub were naturally based on the assumption of a population that we had
back then. I didn't really go in depth with ideas for pub in recent years because there were already
great ideas being discussed at the time. Obviously the biggest challenge today would be to create
a gameplay that can kick off and be fun with a low population, yet still possess the possibility to expand
the teams to maintain a normal population, and do it as smooth as possible.

League(s) on the other hand I have a lot more clear because nothing has changed since my last
league proposal. My new one would be even simpler, and I already had it in mind when suggesting
the old one.

I have a fairly solid list of event concepts ready to be made as well. Some simple, others that I'd
need input from a dev team. Which brings me to your question of who would make all these things.
Well, surprisingly there's still a lot of people around in SS who are willing and able to develop. Who
our Dev team would consist of would come down to just that, and I would put emphasis on the need
for commitment before assigning anyone any task, in order to ensure a steady progress. This is a
voluntary job, but a job nonetheless, so I would expect the team to treat it as such (to the stretch
that this game reasonably permits).
Where needed, I would personally contribute a lot on the core, raw elements of gameplays: maps
and settings. I firmly believe that there's still a lot of fun and original things in this game that are yet
to be made, and I know I have the creativity to at least construct solid concepts. The flexibility and
simplicity of game design in SubSpace is extremely rare, and I would take full advantage of that.

The revival strategy also consists of projects for advertisements. The concepts for those are already
made, but they'd naturally come into play at a later time, when we actually have something that can
be properly presented to the public. The development for these projects would not be made public,
because the element of surprise is crucial. First impressions can mean everything when it comes to
these things. But let's just say that I'm not talking about pop-up advertisements, but rather something
much more fun and community-related, with elements of community interaction. Specially taking
advantage of the social media phenomenon.

I haven't been around because as a player, there's nothing that really attracts me and makes me want
to stay. If given the chance, I would change that with the needs and expectations of the SS player in mind.

Beer Hunter

Post by Beer Hunter »

There has been many advertisement strategies, public and not public. However neither of them have proven to be succesful.

As for leagues, some old but gold leagues must stay but new additions such as Team Combat League was can be done. Given that we have somebody to operate bots.

If this is a vote, then I must notify that I've worked under 3 sysops, 12 long years in DSB, mostly focusing on keeping league alive. Last 3 leagues I've basically hosted (over 90% of games, 5+ hours every Sunday), organized and with few helpers (ent&eridu mainly) planned.

Back to the old regime with me you say? Maybe I was loyal to the sysop, whoever it was at given time. However, I've also played crucial part when the old regime was ripped apart and the chance for new beginning happened. For my actions I was demoted for a while by the ex-"regime".

Only thing I want here is to keep DSB alive, not to be the next Hoch.. :roll:

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Well, it shouldn't really be a vote but rather a discussion where, if possible, an agreement
would be reached. Quite many here have already stated they would be up for the job.

One thing is a fact; head sysops have changed throughout the years because it is not a very
fancy job, and personal interests or lack of interest in the game eventually turn this person
into a less good version of a head sysop than (s)he was when chosen for the position. Even
though it is a voluntary position, many people have kept it as a target. Most people enjoy
power and recognition the position might bring with it. However, when you have reached
the target you slowly start realising it is not as fancy as you thought it would be. Hence, I
would want everyone willing to, be included in the revival project and given some power to
work towards the common goal we share. So, whoever is chosen as the successor of Ent, will
hopefully include all the volunteers in the projects at a wider level than previously seen in DSB.

So, if you all will work to reach the same goal, even if you were not chosen as the
coordinator of everything, I believe we could stand a chance. At this point, everyone needs to
forget about power jealousy, and hopefully reach an agreement to decide only the best
coordinator at this point.

I would lay the question differently.
Who would you want to work for/with if you were not chosen as the successor of Ent?
In my opinion, the person most people would be willing work for is the right person for the job.

I personally would give Delic the chance to coordinate things as I have followed his posts for
years and years and he has contributed much to the zone by providing great ideas and
constructive criticism. I would love to see Sneik, Swatta, Sever, Mori, Beer working towards the
goal together with him.

I'm being harsh and honest now.

Sneik is too much of a mess to run the zone, he easily includes emotions and sometimes lacks
a clear plan but instead wants to do a bit of everything. Swatter and Mori have no experience
in DSB at a competitive level, and thus, are not capable of looking at things from a perspective
that is wide enough. Beer has worked in staff for too long and has always greatly adapted to
the regime of DSB. I don't believe he would be open enough for new ideas and would want to
keep innovating something new. He has too many of Hoch's and other sysops ideas stuck on his
mind. Delic then, always seems to have even a bit too clear idea of everything and rarely is
willing to change his point of view - he wants to be right, and likes to think he is usually right.

Out of the current candidates, I still believe Delic would be the best person capable of holding
everything together. His personality reminds my own. I have run multiple projects back in school
and these days at work. I've also had subordinates at work for ages and know how to manage
people, not in a dictatorical manner but rather by open discussion and involvement of everyone.
Delic's commitment remains a question mark. He also needs to start getting used to the idea of
not always being right.

Just my eighteen cents.

I hope I did not offend anyone; that was never the intention.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

jim the chin wrote:What about 17th Parallel!??!?!?
And this...

I've asked you before about this Delic, and your reply was that you were given a task
to revive a dead zone. You failed. DSB is almost dead. Why would you do any better
this time?

Although I believe failing at projects will only teach you, and thus, prevent yourself
from making the same mistakes again. So instead of looking at the failure with 17th
as a bad thing, he could also have learned much from it. Is it enough or does he need
another lesson (fail with DSB)? Who knows...

Delic

Post by Delic »

Sorry for the long post ;/

Beero: I am aware that advertisements have been tried. What I would do has not been
done before. At least not in DSB, and not in SS either that I'm aware of. But it's
not really that complicated. I could do it myself.

Beer, you have been the face of staff for a really long time.
The time you have spent in your important role is unmatched by anyone in DSB history.
You've been in charge of leagues which were the driving force of this zone.
No matter how unpopular you were among some, no one can take that away from you.

But with that in mind, don't you think you've had your chance?
You say it yourself, during your 12 years you've been focused on keeping league alive.
Hell, if I were in your position I don't think I'd ask for anything else.
What is it about your position that hinders you from serving the zone to the best of your abilities?
I don't think that we'd go back to the "old regime" if you were Head SysOp, but I still fail to
see what you'd do that we haven't been through already. I also noticed long periods of
passiveness and apparently lack of motivation from your end. It's like you got used to the
rules and procedures that you were given to abide, and you stuck to that methodological way of
working. You're great at what you do, maybe the best, but I'm talking about something else here,
and if you had the ambition, ability and vision that I'm referring to then you definitely would've
demonstrated it by now.

Anyway, I hope you don't get me wrong. There was a time when I didn't know about your
contributions and I thought you should have resigned. Now I know much better... You've been
one of the people who's done the dirty work for this zone, and you've stayed dedicated to that.

(Typed the above before reading Temb's post)

I failed with 17th because I was not able to put together a Dev team. While I had multiple projects
in progress, I always got stuck when I needed something more than maps and settings...
mainly programming and graphics. It was just me and Samapico, and eventually he got too busy IRL.
I believe DSB is a different story altogether, not just because of the people who're still around and
are so open-minded and actually generous with their time, but also because of the zone's history and
past prestige, which would hopefully attract people I know from other zones to contribute. If not, hell
we can make it happen anyways, just slower. Despite the similar situation, the conditions here are really
different than they were in 17th when I was in charge. I should also mention that I had to move in the
middle of my revival attempt and wasn't able to get a connection back until about 4 months later.

Who would I be willing to work with? As stated in my previous post, I'd work with anyone who's willing
and able, and I'd go for people who have proven that they're good at what they do and dedicated to it.

I understand that I may project the image of someone who thinks that he's always right, but I also like
to believe that I'm not ashamed or afraid to admit it when someone proves me wrong. In fact, I wouldn't
be able to do anything as Head SysOp unless my team agrees with what I have in mind. Hopefully I won't,
but if I do make mistakes then I trust on my team to point that out to me. I wouldn't be able to work in
a team that feels that I'm forcing my ideas upon them and ordering them to do things. That's just not
a productive way to lead a team, because it wouldn't actually function as a team. Teamwork in this
environment is very much related to being able to compromise with others and swallow your pride,
because everyone have their own idea of what's best. I understand that, so I also understand that I'd
have to do that more than anyone in order to maintain a productive staff.

We all want the same thing, to revive DSB. I have no doubt that I have what it takes to bring out the
best out of people in order to do that. And obviously I would not agree to this if I wasn't able to dedicate to it.

Ok, I'm at work (hence typing this post on and off) and I need to go home and sleep now.

Sorry for the long post.

the_real_the_snake

Post by the_real_the_snake »

Just to be clear, I have no intention what so ever of running this zone.
I merely logged in and signed up because I really believe delic can do good for this zone.
Having said that, I am basing my assumption on knowledge and state of the zone from 6 months + ago. I have no clue what is going on in the zone now, population and leagues. I rarely log on.
I've basically lost interest in this game.. Even hosting a server and actually doing some nice development work to it has become boring as it's quite impossible to bring in new players from outside, which kinda makes this thread pointless until someone finalizes a new client =)..

BR,

snake

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

You're not playing and not an admin so why should anybody care about what you think?

You are just a forum troll for all I care...

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

Tembest wrote: Swatter and Mori have no experience in DSB at a competitive level, and thus, are not capable of looking at things from a perspective that is wide enough.
You don't know me well enough to make such a statement.