Next Head Sysop?

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Tembest

Re: Next Head Sysop?

Post by Tembest »

Fly Swatter wrote:
Tembest wrote: Swatter and Mori have no experience in DSB at a competitive level, and thus, are not capable of looking at things from a perspective that is wide enough.
You don't know me well enough to make such a statement.
As I said, I had zero intention to insult anyone. I know some of you better and some of you less.
I know none of you guys very well. It was nothing but a subjective statement based on my own
image of you guys.

I was actually hoping for some of you you to come forward and explain why my statement is wrong.
So, before you explain your ideas about leagues and their management, I have no reason to believe
you would be the best person to run the zone; considering you don't have much experience from
pracs, leagues or other most competitive parts of the game.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

For a number of reasons I haven't made myself available to run the zone. As for my views, I think league is a stupid timed game depended on a scoring system. Its basically played by the same core of players every year and every year there are less of them. Prac/league might me the best thing this zone offers but compared to pub anything is better, and prac/league isn't exactly attracting sser's from other zones. The only people that even understand it are the people that have been playing it for years. Players from other zones cant even come in here and win by out skilling those who basically created the system. Its stupid to me, but at the same time im all for it continuing.

I would want to systematically run experiments in pub in an attempt to create a goal oriented style game that could evolve into a new league.

Pub and league should run the same game, it should be goal oriented not time based on scoring.

Look at other zones look at how metal gear was structured. Dsb hasn't been doing it right and the evidence is clear.

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

Delic wrote: I have a fairly solid list of event concepts ready to be made as well. Some simple, others that I'd
need input from a dev team. Which brings me to your question of who would make all these things.
Well, surprisingly there's still a lot of people around in SS who are willing and able to develop. Who
our Dev team would consist of would come down to just that, and I would put emphasis on the need
for commitment before assigning anyone any task, in order to ensure a steady progress. This is a
voluntary job, but a job nonetheless, so I would expect the team to treat it as such (to the stretch
that this game reasonably permits).
This seem unrealistic on every level.

In Ent's days as head sysop, i did alittle work on the websites front end and manwhore did a few graphics for the inside spawns and the easter theme. THATS ALL THE HELP THAT THERE WAS. Telling me that your going to pick and chose from a list of developers based on who will commitment to your ideas is ridicules. Unless you already have a dev team in mind and can produce them here b4 you become head sysop then I would have to support Beer Hunter.

Delic

Post by Delic »

I said that our dev team would consist of whoever is willing and able.
If someone's only contribution is one graphic, that help would naturally
be accepted and appreciated. But if someone says they're going to
create a graphic and someone else builds on that idea, then we need
the person to commit to his word in order to ensure a steady progress.
That's what I meant with commitment.
I wouldn't pick and choose anyone, I would look at the list of people
who're willing to help and coordinate them based on what they're able
to contribute and when they're able to deliver it.

And as I pointed out earlier, the last thing I'd want is to make it seem
like I'm just pushing my ideas on anyone. When it comes to pub, I don't
even have anything concrete formalized, only basic principles that I think
most of us share anyways. So if someone else presents a solid concept
then we'd naturally go with that. Who does what doesn't matter here,
what matters is that something is actually done, and properly. The only
way to do that is if we have a united dev team. Part of my job would be
to make sure that it stays that way as much as possible. If I have to
compromise on certain areas to ensure that, then that's what I'll do,
and I expect others to do the same. That's the only way to make this work.

Delic

Post by Delic »

Fly Swatter wrote:I would want to systematically run experiments in pub in an attempt to create a goal oriented style game that could evolve into a new league.

Pub and league should run the same game, it should be goal oriented not time based on scoring.

Look at other zones look at how metal gear was structured. Dsb hasn't been doing it right and the evidence is clear.
Pub and league should definitely run the same game. No question.

A goal oriented pub has been suggested in the past and it's a very interesting idea.
It makes sense to go that way with low pop too since it focuses the action.
There could be other ways to focus the action though, so we'd need to sit down
and think about it thoroughly.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Well yea, we started saying pub gameplay needs to be similar to league's roughly 6 years ago.
It's always been the biggest problem with DSB. Newb comes to DSB, gets owned in pub,
finally after a year of playing pub, he tries pracs and gets assraped there so hard no one is
even willing to play with him, they go "prac ruiner gtfo, go back to pub". Where does it leave
this guy? Where does it leave DSB? No new players, declining population...

Nubby

Post by Nubby »

Just my 2 cents but, if Mati can be fucked to become sysop, he gets my vote. He is the only one actively trying to encourage people to play the zone. Heck I thought the zone died 6 months back till he got me to play a friendly game again.

I love Delic to death and he would be a great 2nd choice imo but we he would need to start listening more like others have previously mentioned. Its not always your way or the highway buddy. (See Team Combat League). I still <3 you tho.

Also, why is DSB so ever-reliant on the sysop (esp. after the Hoch incident). I'm not sure how things work in DSB but if you don't already have one - maybe you should get a group of people to form a Board of Directors.

I know TW has their weekly staff & dev team meetings, EG has their council or w/e and I sit on the HZ Task Force Board -- why not have a bunch-a people work together to help improve the zone, I mean we want try & keep DSB on life-support for at least the next year right?

Like for example in HZ, whenever they change the sets, do main zone-sanctioned (as opposed to player-sanctioned) leagues etc etc, we all post in the BoD forums our thoughts/ideas/opinions etc. This is then made available for public reference like 2-3 weeks after the decision has been made. Get a bunch of people from different environments, one that is focused on the pub, one focused on the league, I mean I am terrible in HZ but I just give the opinions on my other-zone friends who I bring over.

The important thing is this BoD is active and there is a lot less bickering - mature people willing to work together for the benefit of the zone - and things get done super fast. (as opposed to waiting for the public debate/or flying solo and realising oh snap I made a boo-boo).

======

PS. Next Head Sysop should find ways to make the zone skill gap smaller so whenever I bring people to the zone for the first time they dont go 0-15 and then tell all their friends to never enter the zone again. Just a thought.

Right now, you're currently catering to the 25 active people that still play this game. Its ok if you lose 5 of them to gain a lot more I mean I got 2 friends of mine to try out SS for the first time the other day and they enjoyed dueling/playing in EG & TW far more than in DSB so that's any another consideration you might have to make. I guess you somehow need to change DSB but still keep it as DSB :)

Final thought is that Tempest is right about the whole elitist jerks yelling at newbies but most of the other zones I play have come to realise that it doesn't help them in the long run and have stopped and I'm sure eventually DSBers will figure that out too :)

**Cheap Plug** Just like in my other post, If you can make 8/9/10pm EST game times, I have a couple of roster spots for anyone wanting to join my HZ team. Leave me a ?message Nubby :)

TL;DR: Mati #1, Delic #2 for Sysop. Have some sort of Board of Directors to make decisions. Make zone easier for newbies. Join my HZ team.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Every Board of Directors needs a head. We are past dictatorical decisions already. We are not
trying to find a new king of DSB. Simply someone to control things and push people to do work,
divide the tasks a bit.. etc.
If a board cannot reach an agreement, there is always one whose voice is worth more than others'.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

I vote eridu. Everyone else is either not active enough, too close-minded about what to do with pub/league, hates pub/league, or can't work with others.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Eridu

Post by Eridu »

Swatter for next head sysop IF it had to change. I don't like the idea of giving the zone to any players that abandoned it. It would be completely stupid to give it to someone who spends there time elsewhere. Come back just because you have complete control now? Otherwise you could careless if it dies or not? please... Step up and learn how to work together.