DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

zi|ch

Re: DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

Post by zi|ch »

Should we list most victories, best marginal, best avg or what? Listing most kills doesn't really promote templay, but listing scores which depend heavily on teammates could make ppl avoid playing with weaker players..

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I don't think much team swapping will happen in pub to avoid playing with weaker players.
Perhaps we could list stats such as total wins. Win-lose ratio. Average bell flags of the player(depending on what the game is).
The person at the top of the list should be the one with most wins, so playing a lot would be rewarded.

Edit: I don't think kills or deaths should even be listed. The learning process is much faster if they first learn to do whatever they
can to get flags, and only then when they plan to move to league should they learn kills-deaths matter some too. In general, it's
still mostly about flagging and flag bells are what count.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

kemi wrote:Very true except for very few exceptions :)

Einstein and sniper_25 ^^
Also a number of old bones players, other league players like snake_eye, as well as all the players in the squads other than red hawks, lego and bandidos, and myself. Just because a handful of players from a few squads became snobs, and you spent most of your time online talking with this bunch of players, doesn't mean it was the norm.
zi|ch wrote:I think the countdown and stuff make it too complicated. Just my opinion. I don't think that public play in DSB was never that much about winning. For example when there was a fight in east entrance, other team tries to go in and the other tries to come out, smashing the other team as they go. Pretty pointless, but fun. All these countdowns and balls make it too complicated IMHO.
A winnable game would get me playing, and I know it would get many others players too. Pub is dead and you have to ask how it got that way (other than saying it was going to happen anyway). TW is still going strong, and TW has a game that can be won... a game that is similar to their league. In my opinion, DSB died because the pub game had no objective.

Now if you people would pay a little more attention to what's been tried in pub in the last year, you'd know there was an active sector theme tried for some time. Essentially, a sector would be designated, and once a team had held 400 flags (over numerous dings), they would win. This is very similar to what you seem to be proposing, and it failed for a number of reasons. First, there was no indication of what you would win or how it could be used. Second, 400 flags is way too many. Third, players were mostly unaware any game was going on.

That's why I proposed a simple system where once you hold all the flags in the active sector, a countdown starts for 1 minute, which alerts everyone that the game is about to be won unless someone stops it. This is the best chance to get people involved in the game. I don't see how it's "complicated". It's basically what TW does for their single flag. A goal that opens in the active sector to score in would also encourage people to play the game by drawing them into the active sector. All that I'm proposing is to get people involved in the game. It's not complicating matters because they can still ignore these additions.
Tembest wrote:I would simply just announce the scores in public and then huge on pub map the week's best player, month, year, all time.
I just feel like people care more about fame than some tokens to spend on ship upgrades.

The bot could announce the sector just like 15 seconds in advance and start spamming crazily in green.
Hopefully then players would start to rush to the sector.
These are good suggestions. Different people like different prizes. So why not give tokens for upgrades, and post scores in public? I remember the_snake's bot did this, and pub was doing well then. What happened to that? I'm guessing Hoch ruined it?

-EDIT- And this is how I respond to your recent post too. Post kills as well as the team stats. Different people like to do different things in the games. Most kills will only be achieved playing in the active sector anyway (where most enemies will be), so it will encourage team play also.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

jim the chin wrote:Also a number of old bones players, other league players like snake_eye, as well as all the players in the squads other than red hawks, lego and bandidos, and myself. Just because a handful of players from a few squads became snobs, and you spent most of your time online talking with this bunch of players, doesn't mean it was the norm.
But that was before, that was when bunch of people still played pub, duel, etc. When I started playing DSB we didn't even have
sector pracs or anything similar. We pracced in pub as a squad and used private arenas to prac different things as a squad.

How many new players have become even half decent let's just throw out some year and say since 2008? I can't think of even one.

Detector

Post by Detector »

I can't imagine how fun it will be to play another 6v6 DSBL. I've been there, done that, won that. Good luck with having this 6v6 DSB League!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:.

kemi

Post by kemi »

There has been two different kind of 6 vs 6

The one in the little DS with no specials

ANd the one with the real DS playing 4 quarters

Detector

Post by Detector »

There has been two different kind of 6 vs 6

The one in the little DS with no specials

ANd the one with the real DS playing 4 quarters
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've played both of those and won, with you in same squad. That was a statement. :)

kemi

Post by kemi »

We only played the 6 vs 6 without special together.

You weren't in my team when we won the other 6 vs 6 league

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

Oh that 6v6 league? Even I have won one I guess.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Yes the one without specials was silly. I only played in the second one I think.

The "real" one being DSBL13+14 though was what I meant to begin with :P