DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

jim the chin

Re: DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

Post by jim the chin »

The idea of the sector-capture theme is that once all the flags in a sector have been flagged, a 1 minute countdown starts. After the minute, the game is won (and prizes/tokens distributed). Then another sector is randomly allocated by the bot. I suppose you could make it so people vote on the next sector. Like you, I don't have the knowledge to make the bot though.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

I just had a great idea. To encourage activity in the designated sector, you could make a soccer-ball spawn in core, and have a goal in each of the sectors. Only the goal in the designated sector is open to score in; the other goals are blocked off by walls. Is this something you could do in AS3 Fly?
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

I think the countdown and stuff make it too complicated. Just my opinion.

I don't think that public play in DSB was never that much about winning. For example when there was a fight in east entrance, other team tries to go in and the other tries to come out, smashing the other team as they go. Pretty pointless, but fun. All these countdowns and balls make it too complicated IMHO.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

zi|ch wrote:I think the countdown and stuff make it too complicated. Just my opinion.

I don't think that public play in DSB was never that much about winning. For example when there was a fight in east entrance, other team tries to go in and the other tries to come out, smashing the other team as they go. Pretty pointless, but fun. All these countdowns and balls make it too complicated IMHO.
You're missing something here. That indeed describes DSB's pub. However, we need a pub that resembles league play. You bring FreeSpirit or anyone else who has
played pub for freaking 10 years to one league game and everyone, literally everyone will just murder the guy there. The gap between pub players and league players
is too big. DSB pub worked previously only because we didn't have many other games to play; the veterans also had to play pub.

Now and even like 3 years ago, the situation was that no veteran played pub. They played pracs to get better, and every now and then when a pub player wanted to
take a step to become a better player, they found out it's impossible. No veteran wanted to play with a clueless player who had absolutely no idea what to do or how
to play the game. The newbie gets cursed at, no one wants to play with him -> Newbie leaves.

We most definitely need a pub where the gameplay resembles league gameplay as much as possible and winning flags is the goal. Otherwise even the idea of DSB's
revival is impossible.

kemi

Post by kemi »

Very true except for very few exceptions :)

Einstein and sniper_25 ^^

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Tembest wrote:
zi|ch wrote:I think the countdown and stuff make it too complicated. Just my opinion.

You're missing something here. That indeed describes DSB's pub. However, we need a pub that resembles league play. You bring FreeSpirit or anyone else who has
played pub for freaking 10 years to one league game and everyone, literally everyone will just murder the guy there. The gap between pub players and league players
is too big. DSB pub worked previously only because we didn't have many other games to play; the veterans also had to play pub.

Now and even like 3 years ago, the situation was that no veteran played pub. They played pracs to get better, and every now and then when a pub player wanted to
take a step to become a better player, they found out it's impossible. No veteran wanted to play with a clueless player who had absolutely no idea what to do or how
to play the game. The newbie gets cursed at, no one wants to play with him -> Newbie leaves.

We most definitely need a pub where the gameplay resembles league gameplay as much as possible and winning flags is the goal. Otherwise even the idea of DSB's
revival is impossible.
I see your point. The idea behind only one sector to play was (in my mind) that if there are only 24 or so flags, in a smaller area, maybe that would encourage pub players to start fighting for the flags, which again would lead to pub play resembling league more closely, and so narrowing the gap between "pub players" and "league players". I guess we could reward the winning team with tokens or something, to further encourage teamplay for flags.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

There has to be something to motivate people indeed. They won't fight for flags just for fun. We've seen that so many times.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Tembest wrote:There has to be something to motivate people indeed. They won't fight for flags just for fun. We've seen that so many times.
So:
-Voting for sector to play in, for next n minutes (maybe ten?)
-Other flags turned off
-No doors or warping players
-Both safes inside (something like ?go #ownage)
-Tokens for winning team (not individual players, this should encourage teamwork) or why not straight out prizes:

Code: Select all

DSB-BOT> You have been awarded <insert upgrades here> for your teams victory. To claim your award, type ::!claim

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

I'm not a fan of any ship upgrades, but that's just me.

I would simply just announce the scores in public and then huge on pub map the week's best player, month, year, all time.
I just feel like people care more about fame than some tokens to spend on ship upgrades.

The bot could announce the sector just like 15 seconds in advance and start spamming crazily in green.
Hopefully then players would start to rush to the sector.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Tembest wrote:I'm not a fan of any ship upgrades, but that's just me.

I would simply just announce the scores in public and then huge on pub map the week's best player, month, year, all time.
I just feel like people care more about fame than some tokens to spend on ship upgrades.

The bot could announce the sector just like 15 seconds in advance and start spamming crazily in green.
Hopefully then players would start to rush to the sector.
Either way works for me.