DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

jim the chin

Re: DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

Post by jim the chin »

zi|ch wrote:The current layout of safe zones just isn't working, especially with !myfreq being broken. Also as suggested above, 100 flags is too much for the current player numbers. So i gave it a thought and came up with this. Please comment.

Demonstration:

Code: Select all

DSB-BOT> Vote for next area of play with !N, !E, !S or !W
>!E
>!e
>!w
>!S
DSB-BOT> Next 10 minutes will be played in East! Note that only flags in east are active.

[No warping players around, no doors, no sh*t, just flags appear in east but nowhere else.]

DSB-BOT> Try to control the flags in East to win!

DSB-BOT> 5 minutes left! Freq 1 is leading by xxx.

[And so goes 10 minutes..]
DSB-BOT> 10 minutes are over! Freq 0 xxx, freq 1 yyy. Winner freq 1 by zzz. Posting stats.
DSB-BOT> |---------------------- [and so on....]
[Give few secs to read stats]
DSB-BOT> Vote for next area of play with !N, !E, !S or !W
>!w
Safe zone in core. Maybe keep !myfreq and another (small) safezone outside if ppl prefer to duel there (going to freq 3, 5, 7 etc..), but have both freq 0 and 1 spawn inside. It just makes sense with the current player numbers. IMO safe zone outside is feasible only when most of the time killed players can attach back inside.

Why this might work?
- Pub play just might start to resemble league again (which should be good)
- There's a goal to the game, but players can choose what they do.
-> If there are only few players, the can just fight in core (or outside, with !myfreq if they prefer)
-> If there are more players, maybe ppl start flagging etc. Playing west or east is sensible even 2v2 IMO.

Oh and one more thing: I don't know if enabling/disabling flags is possible and I definitely cannot come up with a bot or a map :D

So watcha think?
It's what many of us have been suggesting for an eternity now, but no-one with the bot knowledge seems to want to do it, which is sad really.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Well that's unfortunate.

What bot does DSB use? I suppose it has modules since it's doing many things. Or is it new(/modified) bot for every theme?

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

I think Entr0py made the bots, but maybe Fly Swatter or Eridu will be able to answer your question too.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

All I know is that they're mervbots :)

Fly Swatter

Post by Fly Swatter »

zi|ch wrote:Well that's unfortunate.

What bot does DSB use? I suppose it has modules since it's doing many things. Or is it new(/modified) bot for every theme?

Its basically a modified version of Ent's prac/league bot for the most part. I'll be attempting to address some of theses issues over the next few weeks, but it will probably take a new bot from scratch.

For now the main focus is getting dsb's new (ASSS) server up and going. On the ASSS server I can write/test code much faster then with bots, then we can port what works back to the main zone.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

Please try to fix the !myfreq asap atleast :/
Do we have a map with two safes inside? Can we put that up for now?

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Yes we do have a map with a safe in north and the other one in south. It was used while ago but served
no purpose. Playing was pointless because all the fighting happened right next to the safe zone. In other
words, dying meant nothing, you respawned right next to the opponent and there it goes again, you die
and respawn after 4 seconds. That was the worst "game" in dsb history.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

I see the problem there. Having jus one sector to play might adress that. For 2 to 3 players or so the current layout (without !myfreq) is not working. Can't we just allow =# for now, if !myfreq can't be fixed?

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

The map in ?go #ownage is adapted for the type of game you want.

Other than the safety zones, the red circles show changes to the pub map which make west and south more defensible, and east more accessible. This should make the game winnable and more enjoyable. Obviously, west sector will have to not include the core flags. In ?go #ownage this map can be viewed, and spawning players appear in the respective safety zones.

Personally, I'm against private freqs. If we want a team game at times of low population, why do we want private freqs?

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

If we took #ownage and had the sector scheme (voting for sector to play for next 10 mins, with other sectors flags turned off), would that be a satisfactory setup?