DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Seriel Killer

Re: DSB Pub Population Statistics - May 2011 - April 2012

Post by Seriel Killer »

Tembest wrote:SK, what the hell is that?
It is an old event, I can't remember the objective because I played it once like 8 years ago or so :P

I saw it in chalkeagle's screens and I thought it should be pub map :)

deathcorp

Post by deathcorp »

jim the chin wrote:
Entr0py wrote: Also, I understand how frustrating it is on your side to see someone with the ability to do the stuff that you want done not doing it. Please understand that it's equally frustrating for me to be the only one with the ability to do this stuff and to be pulled in 5 different directions without anybody stepping up to offer help or being proactive. You don't even need to code a bot to start making an objective. How about you make a map? Brainstorm the gameplay, and what the bot would need to do? Get graphics? There are a TON of things you can do before you get to the bot stage.
I like your suggestion. I didn't realise how much easier I could make it for you to code the bot.

I envisage a capture-the-sector objective:
1. A sector is designated the target for capture
2. Flagging all the flags in the sector triggers a countdown (1 minute, 2 minutes?)
3. The countdown stops if an enemy captures a flag.
4. If the countdown reaches zero the winning team receives a number of tokens proportional to the number of kills they managed in the game (other stats could be taken account of too, but for basic level testing, kills would be enough).

Map: Clearly, I want the map to stay as the deathstar. I may want to move the safeties around though. They would move back to the core region as they can't be in the sectors.

Graphics: I will make 5 small "radar" images of the deathstar. The first will be the deathstar as it appears on the radar, and the other 4 will be this image with 1/4 sectors highlighted. One of these images will go at the top-right of the screen below the bounty. The bot will change the images depending on whether a game is active, and depending on what sector is the target for capture.

Everyone, let me know if you have suggestions, or see a problem with any of this.

I won't be starting right away. I have a sh!tpile of work to do, finishing on May 18th, but I may find time before then. I intend to deliver a map, graphics, detailed gameplay description, and instructions for a bot.
Doesn't sound bad at all but,

If this ends up not working or unpopular then something more simple to digest as a novice/casual player would be:

Having one freq attacking to capture all 100 flags in a 10 minute(whatever) time period and have the other defend them. This concept is very much original and easy to grasp. When you reach 100 flags you are automatically the winner of the round. No need to patrol for people with a free spirit coming from whatever hole. The timer version doesn't accomplish the ''fight and conquer the area behind the kill'' gameplay. It's more like, bake a cake and try to smash the flies trying to reach it before your guests arrive, figuratively. Who enjoys doing that, leave me a pm.

Though it's probably all done before. What happened then? I think it's just what I want from pub

Protecting the flags untouched is hard with the pub population, though I take it you are adressing this by having to "conquer" one sector at a time as the smartest way of playing. Or are you saying the game consist of capturing only one sector in total per game? I think that was tried out in some form before, unsuccessful.

Think about it guys, TW runs 20 players active in pub day and night with a single flag. What makes you enjoy the game is thinking you've done something contributing with somewhat of an effort. TW is like any MMO game out there where any ship strives over another in a certain task that is REQUIRED in accomplishing an objective. What this has to do with my reply, not sure

Tried to post this all before but I had lost my pw.

I'd normally not get in to someones way but I think we should be past that by now.
I'd add anything that doesn't lead to another hard effort and a failure for whatever reasons.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

I'm not overly sure what you mean, but the way I see it, there are two ways of working your ideas.

1. Both teams spawn outside, but at the start of a "match" one team is warped inside the ds, the other is warped outside. The team inside must stop the team outside from getting to 100 flags. They would only really be able to do this by locking out the defenders. The target could be lowered to 66 or 51 flags though.

2. One team spawns inside and one outside. The goal of the team that spawns outside is to claim every flag in the deathstar at least once. Once the flags around a flagpole have been claimed once, they are "captured" and no longer need to be attacked.

Both would be timed games. The problem is of course deciding how much time the attackers should get. Both would work as objectives and would be fun.

The reason I prefer the objective I proposed is because:
1. It mirrors the successful prac/league structure of sector-based flagging. Private frequencies could easily be formed by league squads wanting to practice their sector teams.
2. It focusses the game-play on one area, requiring very few people to be fun. We know that sectors can be fun in 3v3 or even 2v2.
3. Having a countdown mirrors the successful TW pub objective. Notifying pub that a sector has been "captured" leading to the match being won in 60 seconds, or 10 seconds, will get players involved.
4. The graphics I have made that show the active sector on a little diagram of the deathstar should make it easy to learn for newbies.
5. Newbies will find it much easier to adapt and migrate to pracs/leagues, having played a similar game in pub. Pub will effectively be an introduction to league... just as it should be.
Please delete this account. I want nothing to do with this place any more.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Well I've finished the map, graphics and bot requirements and sent this to you Ent. Please let me know if you haven't received the email. I hope you can see enough potential in the theme to finish what I've started.

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

Receipt confirmed. I need to give this thread a careful reading once TCL stuff is finished, and the current theme in development rolls out. Probably next week.

Detector

Post by Detector »

DSB has died already, none plays it except if asked to play it from spec or from requests for league matches from here. I dont see any point in playing DSB anymore, thats why I wont be in Draft League after BABL playing. I have over 12500 hours played with Detector and its time to end my career soon. I am not addicted to this game, thats something you cant be when this game is so dead. Seems also like players as Bandoon, Makron and Beastie quitted DSB and either moved to other zones or simply just knows DSB's situation. I predict there will be 1 player in pub in a year from now and that is the zone owner, who came by to see what happened.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Good for you. You've quit 10 times already anyway.

jim the chin

Post by jim the chin »

Another "I'm quitting post"... holy shit.

Most people realise it's stupid when they get to 1, but this must be 4 or 5 from you now. No-one cares anymore.

wo

Post by wo »

Detector wrote:DSB has died already, none plays it except if asked to play it from spec or from requests for league matches from here. I dont see any point in playing DSB anymore, thats why I wont be in Draft League after BABL playing. I have over 12500 hours played with Detector and its time to end my career soon. I am not addicted to this game, thats something you cant be when this game is so dead. Seems also like players as Bandoon, Makron and Beastie quitted DSB and either moved to other zones or simply just knows DSB's situation. I predict there will be 1 player in pub in a year from now and that is the zone owner, who came by to see what happened.
not sure if srs

lol @ career

SS is old as shit. No one takes it seriously anymore. Doesn't mean we all can't pop in from time to time and enjoy the nostalgia. I really don't know why you're such a faggot about this.

zi|ch

Post by zi|ch »

The current layout of safe zones just isn't working, especially with !myfreq being broken. Also as suggested above, 100 flags is too much for the current player numbers. So i gave it a thought and came up with this. Please comment.

Demonstration:

Code: Select all

DSB-BOT> Vote for next area of play with !N, !E, !S or !W
>!E
>!e
>!w
>!S
DSB-BOT> Next 10 minutes will be played in East! Note that only flags in east are active.

[No warping players around, no doors, no sh*t, just flags appear in east but nowhere else.]

DSB-BOT> Try to control the flags in East to win!

DSB-BOT> 5 minutes left! Freq 1 is leading by xxx.

[And so goes 10 minutes..]
DSB-BOT> 10 minutes are over! Freq 0 xxx, freq 1 yyy. Winner freq 1 by zzz. Posting stats.
DSB-BOT> |---------------------- [and so on....]
[Give few secs to read stats]
DSB-BOT> Vote for next area of play with !N, !E, !S or !W
>!w
Safe zone in core. Maybe keep !myfreq and another (small) safezone outside if ppl prefer to duel there (going to freq 3, 5, 7 etc..), but have both freq 0 and 1 spawn inside. It just makes sense with the current player numbers. IMO safe zone outside is feasible only when most of the time killed players can attach back inside.

Why this might work?
- Pub play just might start to resemble league again (which should be good)
- There's a goal to the game, but players can choose what they do.
-> If there are only few players, the can just fight in core (or outside, with !myfreq if they prefer)
-> If there are more players, maybe ppl start flagging etc. Playing west or east is sensible even 2v2 IMO.

Oh and one more thing: I don't know if enabling/disabling flags is possible and I definitely cannot come up with a bot or a map :D

So watcha think?