Hi, my name is - (not slim shady)

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Mozart

Hi, my name is - (not slim shady)

Post by Mozart »

Hiya all! I finally made it to the forum. I was trying to join this old community for ages! First the forum was there but not working, and then the registration bot didn't do its job..

Well I can imagine that we must have a lot of new players eventhough there are prolly more vets...

Me I used to run Templar and The Grail, come originally from Wraith Squadron which beated Protection, the first winners of dsbl.
Been to Sweden for a squadmeeting and to 1 or 2 meetings in Europe as organized by LLC. With whom I lost all contact. He has to be on a secret mission or something... :-)
I'm now a IT helpdesk coordinator in Antwerp, Belgium. I returned last year from Angola where I worked and lived for 1,5 year. Opposite to what the rumours say, I don't have any kids :-) Not yet ;-) Ofcourse his first game will be Continuum after he went to church to learn about Templar. ;)

Hope you're all alright and that more ppl will introduce themselves and say where they came from and what they are up to nowadays!

Greetings / Moz

Matioso

Re: Hi, my name is - (not slim shady)

Post by Matioso »

Hi moz! Nice to see ya back.

Seems like you lead a busy life.

I think most of guys know me here quite well already so I won't introduce myself here that much.
Anywho, nice to see ya back and join some combat league squad!

Mozart

Post by Mozart »

Matioso wrote:Hi moz! Nice to see ya back.

Seems like you lead a busy life.

I think most of guys know me here quite well already so I won't introduce myself here that much.
Anywho, nice to see ya back and join some combat league squad!
Oh come on, introduce yourself. Some people I knew really shallow / oppervlakkig.. not really well, just be name. would be awesome to hear about ya'll :)

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Heya. Nice to see an old face return!

I do have a kid, shes almost 2. I'm in my early 30's now. Where the hell has the time went?

Ministry was one of the first people I met in DSB. Helped show me how to play the game back when duel boxes were in pub and pub was often over 100 players all in one arena.

I was an original RIP member who changed their name to DarkSide. Was pretty tight with Nerv0u$, Z0MBIE, Rayfighter, 3-J and L()ki (my brother) to name a few. I was an Op in game for a bit before I retired. Joined Red Hawks when I made my partial come back years ago now. Spent a lot of nights just shooting the shit in chat with Snoops and InIt.

I never really played league even though my squads did. The times never worked for me since I'm in western Canada it was before noon here and I liked to stay up late and sleep in. Can't do that much anymore though with the little one running around at the crack of dawn.

Anyway, enough rambling. Like I said, nice to see you. We never really chatted and you might not even know who I am since I didn't play league, but I remember you of course. Those early days are my fondest memories of DSB.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Starpo

Post by Starpo »

Sup.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Heya Moz,

We never really chatted that much either so I'm going to tell you a little about myself.
The first time I played this game was in 1996, a friend of mine had gotten this game from
his visit to the States. We didn't really have a proper connection back then and my mom
didn't want me to spend all her money on SS, so I just played the game occasionally at
the friend's place. I can't even remember his nick because he quit in like 1997. Somewhere
in late 1997 Rising Star and Flagship, who are my step brothers got me to download this
game and I managed to make a deal with my mom that I can play it an hour per day.

I've been switching nicks... a lot! I have never actually played two leagues on the same nick,
so I wouldn't remember even half of them. I created this nick somewhere around 2002, and
joined Staff in 2003 and still am a Smod here. I've skipped only one league, something like
league 7 or 8. I believe my first DSB squad was X-COM or Subspacers. I've tried Danger,
Lego, Maple, Darkside, even your Grail although I believe it was run by someone else.
But my heart belongs in Xistence and was one of the leaders until it died.

These days I work as a Sales Manager, and actually recently decided to go back to school (MBA).
Have had the same girlfriend for roughly 6 years, and we have a dog here as well, no kids.

Nice to see you back!!

Mozart

Post by Mozart »

Haha Tembest, so funny to hear that one hour a day internet agreement with your parents! LOL.

Was the same here and the main reason for me to get my own pc. But don't forget we didn't even have ADSL back then so our ISDN phone line would be busy and I'd had to write down how many minutes I spent on the internet and then I had to pay this back to my parents :-)

The Grail not run by me? haha hurts a bit that you thought so ! :) But I can imagine because I was busy with Templar at the same time, I had to delegate some things ;) I always had my heart with both squads and reaching both 1st place with Templar and 3rd place with The Grail was for me a great accomplishment although I have always given the credit to all the players ofcourse. Losing Tomao and Thief were the saddest of all times...

I would be online day and night. At night mostly with my smurfnicks and to run my secondary agenda to spy around and steal members from other squads. >;) I needed plenty of nicks with good ratio to maintain a good reputation for the squads... Which -back then- I was still able to do. (get a good ratio).

But my time as a player didn't really take that long. I was more intererested in the strategy building and so I think I created the 4332 strategy together with LLC which we called the "Balanced strategy" with which we beated the better squads. For the smaller or more easy targets we would sometimes play the Nuke'em strategy (full explaination to be found at ?go #p2k) which was a swarm strategy. Kill Kill Kill and get full control. It used to be still possible :-)

kemi

Post by kemi »

Hey Mozzie,

Nice to see you back. :) We met back in the days in Oss at one of the events LLC arranged. I believe itwas the second one he arranged that you came to

I personally started around February 2000 playing this game after a friend of mine in shcoll showed it to me. I did similar to you with writing down how much time I played and paid it back to my mum...Those were the days... :)

I haven't been in many teams. Started up Moni after Everglaze dissolved and then joined Bandidos afterwards until Carn left the game as well. :)

These days I am done with my masters degree and is currently working in a big IT firm and have done that for 1,5 years by now..

Time fly by fast..

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

Mozart wrote:Was the same here and the main reason for me to get my own pc. But don't forget we didn't even have ADSL back then so our ISDN phone line would be busy and I'd had to write down how many minutes I spent on the internet and then I had to pay this back to my parents :-)
Ha! Only the rich kids had ISDN. ;) Not us.. no no. We had the "original" 56k modem thingie.
Although even that wasn't as bad as my cousin's, they had a 14.4k connection which caused
him to over 200ms even the server was roughly 20km away. ;) That was a connection I'm telling you!
His line was also busy when he was online, with a tiny difference though. Anytime someone
tried to call him, he disconnected from server, every single time!! That was hilarious how he
kept complaining to his mom about it "Tell people they're not allowed to call us in the evening"
etc. hahaha

kemi

Post by kemi »

I always had a cable connection, but we still had to pay per minute. So I actually never had a modem or ISDN :/