Recaptcha

General discussion

Moderators: Beer Hunter, Tembest, Entr0py

Seriel Killer

Recaptcha

Post by Seriel Killer »

Entr0py, put Recaptcha for the forum registration to get rid of the bots.

Entr0py

Re: Recaptcha

Post by Entr0py »

What's that?

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

Hah!

Captcha is that image you see when you register to places, it's an image with a word in it (scrambled letters) to stop bots
from registering to places and doing spam and all. Since OCR technology is not good enough to decipher these letters
into a word Captcha works very well in stopping bots.

Recaptcha is an initiative where you get 2 words in an image. 1 is for the bots and 1 is a scanned image from a book
that the computer couldn't figure out what it is, so they post it to people and people type it, that's how they know which
word it is.
The computer sometimes can't figure out words because of dry ink, bad printing, old paper etc.

This is how they digitize books, quite efficient.

If you want to learn about what I said there's one of the best lectures I've seen on TED.

Here it is: http://www.ted.com/talks/luis_von_ahn_m ... ation.html

Have fun :)

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Ya damn those bots got annoying back in the day. Was spending half my time here just cleaning up spam bots junk. Captcha helped a lot, it was entirely eliminated when you had to register from in game but I imagine that alienated a few people from registering at all, especially oldies coming back to see what's up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Entr0py

Post by Entr0py »

We have that! You need to type the letters you see in a pic to register. Right???

Also, ssseth, you're a mod now :)

I wanted to make registration only thru the bot, but phpbb3 uses a pw hexing that i can't mimic with the bot, so no-can-do.

Seriel Killer

Post by Seriel Killer »

If we have that how come we get spam?

Detector

Post by Detector »

It seems that they are not Bots who spam useless threads, but selfish guys that trying to be annoying, but never succeeded in it. Thats the way I see it, nothing else really. They seem to be nothing else than stupid in the head.

Tembest

Post by Tembest »

They are bots.

Matioso

Post by Matioso »

Nice troll bomb attempt dete $$.

Ssseth

Post by Ssseth »

Well something needs to be done, this place is a mess with spam. And not just mind for once! ;)

I'm sure there is something within phpBB that can be done (activation emails?) since there are a ton of phpBB forums out there that don't have this problem.
Entr0py wrote:We have that! You need to type the letters you see in a pic to register. Right???

Also, ssseth, you're a mod now :)

I wanted to make registration only thru the bot, but phpbb3 uses a pw hexing that i can't mimic with the bot, so no-can-do.
Great thanks, please check your private messages.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein